Smart Connection Consultancy is a boutique sport and recreation consultancy who has become one of Australia’s leading advocates for the use of synthetic sports surfaces as a vehicle to grow…read more
Melbourne wins most liveable city title for the fifth year running
Melbourne has been named the world’s most liveable city by the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) for the fifth year running.
The EIU’s Liveability Ranking assesses living conditions in 140 cities across the globe by assigning a rating across five broad categories, including: stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure.
Melbourne, coming out on top in all categories, is the first city ever to be named the world’s most liveable for five consecutive years, firmly cementing its position as a tourist destination and reaffirming Melburnians love of their city.
The five lists of top five facts that make Melbourne the best city in the world for the fifth time in a row are:
• Melbourne offers one of the highest densities of commercial art galleries in the world.
• The National Gallery of Victoria (NGV) Ian Potter Centre houses the nation’s largest permanent collection of Australian art.
• Museum Victoria is the southern hemisphere’s largest museum.
• Melbourne is appointed a UNESCO City of Literature and home to Australia’s publishing industry.
• Melbourne hosts more than 3,000 live music performances every week.
EATING AND DRINKING
• Melbourne’s inner-city bistros and cafes alone can seat a combined 178,320 hungry citizens at any one point in time.
• There are more than 2,000 cafes and a further 3,000 restaurants in Melbourne.
• Every day, on average, the Port of Melbourne handles 30 tonnes of coffee beans, enough to produce 3 million cups of coffee each day.
• Victoria is home to over 850 wineries, including 650 cellar door experiences and 21 distinct wine regions.
• The Melbourne Food & Wine Festival sees more than 200 events take place in just over two weeks, including the World’s Longest Lunch – one table with 1600 diners.
• Although the state comprises just 3% of Australia’s total landmass, Victoria is home to 30% of Australia’s native animals.
• There are 139 mammal species in Victoria including kangaroos, wallabies, koalas, possums, wombats, platypus and echidnas.
• Victoria’s parks are home to more than 4,300 native plants and 948 native animal species.
• In Victoria there are: 87 species of lizard, 52 skinks, 12 dragons, 11 legless lizards, nine geckos, three monitors (goannas), 27 species of snake.
• Victorian natural ecosystems support at least: 111 mammals, 447 birds, 46 freshwater and 600 marine fish, 133 reptiles, 33 amphibians.
• Melbourne is the only city in the world that has five international standard sporting facilities (including four with retractable roofs) on the fringe of its central business district.
• Melbourne plays host to the Australian Open Tennis Championships, the Australian Grand Prix, the Australian 500CC Motorcycle Grand Prix, Melbourne Cup Carnival, the Australian Football League Grand Final and many other special events.
• Melbourne is the only city in the world to host both a F1 Grand Prix and a tennis Grand Slam tournament.
• The Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) was established in 1853, less than 20 years after the founding of Melbourne. It was the birthplace of Australian football in 1859, test cricket in 1877 and one-day international cricket in 1971.
• Melbourne is the home of the ‘race that stops the nation’ with the Melbourne Cup Carnival attracting over 343,000 visitors from 42 countries in 2014. This year will be the Carnival’s 155th year.
• Melbourne’s International Comedy Festival first launched in 1987 at a media conference hosted by Barry Humphries (as Sir Les Patterson) and Peter Cook.
• In the world’s top three comedy festivals (with Edinburgh and Montreal), Melbourne’s 2014 comedy festival hosted 6,488 performances by 2,228 artists.
• Melbourne’s International Jazz Festival typically sees more than 40,000 people attend over 100 public events, with over 500 international and Australian artists performing.
• 2015 marks the 30th anniversary of Melbourne Festival, during which time, 11 Artistic Directors have turned it into one of the finest on the international stage. In 2014, 1,000 artists from 23 different countries participated in 15 world premieres and 21 Australian premieres at 30+ venues across the city.
• White Night Melbourne will be back in 2016. The popular dusk to dawn outdoor arts festival runs from 7pm to 7am and attracted 1.3 million visitors in its first three years.
13th August 2015 - NEW AGENCY LAUNCHED FOR VICTORIAN TOURISM AND MAJOR EVENTS
16th August 2015 - WHITE NIGHT FESTIVAL TO RETURN TO MELBOURNE IN 2016
17th July 2015 - ADELAIDE SEEKS RECOGNITION AS AN INTERNATIONAL MUSIC CITY
17th June 2015 - VICTORIAN PREMIER VOWS TO FIGHT FOR EVERY MAJOR EVENT ‘WORTH TAKING’
18th August 2012 - AUSTRALIA: HOME TO THE WORLD’S MOST LIVEABLE CITIES
23rd February 2010 - MARVELLOUS MELBOURNE
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
HYPOXI® is one of Europe’s most successful health and weight loss studio concepts. It’s the first weight loss technology to incorporate exercise with advanced vacuum and…read more
As of the 1st July 2018, Enta Australasia Pty Ltd/Best Union has been rebranded as VIVATICKET Pty Ltd. 19th July 2018 - ENTA AUSTRALASIA REBRANDS AS VIVATICKET 17th October 2016…read more
Developed in Europe, this innovative system offers a safety management solution for swimming pools that checks individual swimmers via their wristband - monitoring their depth and time. Sensors…read more
About Priava's Technology - Priava is a cloud-based and centralised venue and event management system aimed at venues of all sizes. With its familiar and easy-to-use web interface, the…read more
Hadley Australia and Series Australia Pty Ltd are the leading quality theatre chair manufacturers in the southern hemisphere. The businesses work closely with architects, interior designers and…read more
Supreme Heating is a proud Australian owned company specialising in the latest energy efficient heating solutions. Since 1990, Supreme Heating has designed and installed commercial pool heating…read more
The Fitness Generation is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!