Developed in Europe, this innovative system offers a safety management solution for swimming pools that checks individual swimmers via their wristband - monitoring their depth and time. Sensors…read more
Australian Grand Prix called off due to Coronavirus concerns
This weekend's Australian Formula One Grand Prix has been called off, according to an overnight news report by BBC Sport.
While there has been no official confirmation from Formula 1 or governing body the FIA, the BBC report is based on advice from "two senior F1 sources".
The move follows eight F1 workers have been assessed and tested for Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the McLaren team having withdrawn from the race after a crew member testing positive for coronavirus.
The situation rapidly developed throughout Thursday night in Melbourne and an announcement that the race will not take place is now expected.
World champion Lewis Hamilton said on Thursday at the official F1 news conference he was "very, very surprised" the sport was pressing on with plans to continue with the race while the global spread of the Coronavirus widened and other sports suspended or cancelled events.
The BBC reported that an initial meeting of team bosses with F1 and FIA officials on Thursday night, after a tense day in the paddock at Albert Park, broke up with an agreement to carry on with Friday practice as normal and review the situation later that day.
However, plans changed later in the evening as several insiders - including leading drivers - expressed their concerns about the idea of racing amid the risk of further cases of Coronavirus in the close-knit F1 paddock.
The decision was reviewed at later meetings and eventually, at around 2am Friday (Melbourne time), the decision was made to call the race off.
In addition to the eight F1 workers assessed and tested for COVID-19 (of whom seven were cleared on Thursday), Australian Grand Prix organisers said in a statement a ninth person had been assessed and tested, with the result pending.
This person was, according to the statement, "not associated with any F1 team, the FIA or associated suppliers", the statement said.
With the Bahrain Grand Prix, scheduled to be the second meeting of the season on 22nd March, already planned to be held behind close doors and the Chinese Grand Prix cancelled, there are now serious questions as to how the F1 season will proceed.
F1 authorities and the Australian Grand Prix Corporation have faced criticism for their decision to press ahead with the season-opening race, with Lewis Hamilton saying "cash is king.”
11th March 2020 - Live Performance Australia release Coronavirus statement
9th March 2020 - Australian Grand Prix to proceed despite Coronavirus fears
4th March 2020 - Coronavirus fears sees AFL cancel Shanghai fixture
1st March 2020 - Hanoi racetrack ready for Vietnam F1 race
1st March 2020 - MotoGP cancels opening race at Qatar due to Coronavirus
25th February 2020 - New research highlights impact of Coronavirus and bushfires on Australian business
21st February 2020 - Thailand Grand Prix to go ahead despite Coronavirus concerns
13th February 2020 - Coronavirus fears sees postponement of F1 Chinese Grand Prix
12th February 2020 - Coronavirus continues to impact China’s sports events
11th September 2019 - New Chairs announced at Visit Victoria and Australian Grand Prix Corporation
24th March 2018 - Australian Grand Prix the nation’s biggest ‘pop-up’ event
16th December 2015 - Disney to entertain young racegoers at Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Polin was founded in Istanbul in 1976, and has since grown into a leading company in the waterparks industry. Today Polin is one of the world leaders in the design, production, and installation of…read more
Digonex is a leading provider of customised dynamic pricing solutions to clients in arts and entertainment, sport, attractions, cultural institutions and retail sectors. Digonex’s technology is…read more
ATS are global leaders in altitude training and research. From mask systems and inflatable tents to simulated altitude facilities, we help all athletes gain the competitive edge. Our…read more
Hydrocare Pool Services Pty Ltd offer 30 years of experience in aquatic industry features, products and water treatment. Hydrocare Pools has undertaken water treatment for aquatic centres and…read more
Technogym is the leading company in the Wellness and Fitness field all over the world. With 2,200 employees, 14 branches in Europe, U.S., South America, Asia and Australia, Technogym exports its…read more
Anti Wave International is the original suppliers of top performance swim, aquatic sports, leisure and pool programming equipment. Founded in 1971, Anti Wave International is proud of its…read more
revolutioniseSPORT is the emerging market leader in online club management in Australia. Whether it is memberships, registrations, events, online sales or governance tools - revolutioniseSPORT is the…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!