Centennial Parklands awarded for driving towards a digital future
Centennial Parklands has been recognised for leading the way in creating on-demand, high-quality content to meet the ever-changing needs of its visitors and online audiences.
Its work in this area won the Best Use of Technology Award at Parks and Leisure Australia’s 2017 NSW & ACT Regional Awards of Excellence on 18th May.
Having won a Regional award, the Parklands now progress to the Awards of Excellence Gala Dinner, which will be held in October during the Parks and Leisure Australia National Conference on the Gold Coast.
Over the past 18 months the Parklands have invested in cost-effective and on-demand information services, including improved website experiences and the development of a fully-integrated online booking system to improve visitor and facility booking capabilities.
Popular new digital products include:
• An improved visitor smartphone app, multiple social media channels and highly-visited blog
• A digital touchscreen kiosk at one of Centennial Park’s most frequently visited areas (Fearnley Grounds)
• A Nature and Wildlife-themed self-guided tour app
• A self-guided history tour app with audio commentary and historic footage to take visitors through the rich history of ‘The People’s Park’.
Commenting on the initiatives that led to the receipt of the Awards, Antonia Sherry, Marketing Manager for Centennial Parklands stated “these improvements have seen a 15% increase in our digital database, and a significant growth in engagement and online bookings. This allows our visitors to plan a visit at the touch of a finger 24-hours a day.
“Our followers are not just locals but people from around Australia and the world, so the best way for us to tell our story is to keep them informed with high-quality, interesting and shareable content. This not only helps us promote the Parklands and what we do but achieve our aim to be a world-class and sustainable parklands by reducing our printing and production costs significantly.”
Centennial Parklands' sister gardens also received three awards on the night for their exceptional work in events and community programs:
• Event of the Year Award 2017 (NSW/ACT) for its ‘Kaldor Public Art Project Number 32: barrangal dyara (skin and bones) presented by Jonathan Jones - celebrating the 200th Birthday of the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney’ submission in partnership with Kaldor Public Art Projects.
• The Royal Botanic Garden Sydney also received a High Commendation in the Event of the Year Award 2017 (NSW/ACT) category for the Vivid Sydney ‘The Light Garden’ celebrating the 200th Birthday of the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney in 2016, in partnership with Destination NSW.
• Best Community Program of the Year 2017 (NSW/ACT) was awarded to the Community Greening program, which is 17 year-long community run program facilitated by the Royal Botanic Garden Sydney, the Australian Botanic Garden Mount Annan and the Blue Mountains Botanic Garden Mount Tomah.
The PLA Awards of Excellence showcase the excellent work of parks and recreation professionals who manage and plan parks and recreation areas.
Image: The Centennial Parklands team with their PLA Award.
15th April 2017 - FIFTH GREEN FLAG AWARD CEMENTS CENTENNIAL PARKLANDS’ WORLD-CLASS STATUS
13th October 2016 - CENTENNIAL PARKLANDS RELEASES FREE DIGITAL NATURE GUIDE
28th July 2016 - MORE VISITORS TO NSW’S BOTANIC GARDENS THAN EVER BEFORE
17th March 2016 - NEW ALL-WEATHER SPORTS FIELD OPENED IN CENTENNIAL PARKLANDS
11th January 2013 - LIGHT GARDEN TO ILLUMINATE SYDNEY’S CENTENNIAL PARK
16th November 2012 - SYDNEY’S CENTENNIAL PARK ANNOUNCES PROGRAM OF 125TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATIONS
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Developed in Europe, this innovative system offers a safety management solution for swimming pools that checks individual swimmers via their wristband - monitoring their depth and time. Sensors…read more
Otium Planning Group is a contemporary sport and leisure consultancy providing services in planning, facility development, management and funding for the sport, recreation and leisure industries…read more
Tim Batt Water Solutions are at the very forefront of the commercial aquatic business in Australia, with over 30 years specific experience supplying and installing chemical control and dosing…read more
BioGuard is Australia and New Zealand’s most trusted supplier of premium, innovative and affordable commercial water treatment systems and chemicals. BioGuard offers a comprehensive range of…read more
SeatGeek is a search engine and mobile-focused ticket marketplace that allows fans to buy and sell tickets for live events. As of August 2018, SeatGeek has exited the Australian, New…read more
Ausfit began in 1992, providing software services to the health and fitness sector including ClubWise, a fully hosted web-based product which combines state of the art club management software,…read more
Humanforce is a global provider of workforce management solutions for companies who need flexibility to manage complex workforces. Companies use Humanforce to manage everything from time and…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!