Swimplex Aquatics are a world-class company dedicated to the commercial pool, waterslide industry. We are Australian market leaders servicing all states Australia wide. Swimplex provide a full…read more
ASCTA advocacy highlights the value of swim coaching and teaching
The Australian Swimming Coaches and Teachers Association (ASCTA) has shared a letter with its members and industry stakeholders highlighting the value of swim coaching, swim teaching and learn-to-swim programs.
The letter, which is being customised for delivery to each state and territory, explains the value of swimming pools and swim schools, their role in drowning prevention skills and education and the significance of swimming as a sport, advising that prolonged closure of facilities due to COVID-19 could put lives at risk in the future.
The letter, from ASCTA Chief Executive, Brendon Ward advocates for the early reopening of aquatic facilities, stating “We are in an environment that can practise social distancing, classes and squads can be taught with a low ratio of students to teachers/coaches and can be staggered to allow distancing within changeroom and pool areas. Separate entrance and exit points can be introduced to create a oneway flow of traffic. Chlorine and other pool chemicals disinfect the water and surrounding areas and all registered swim schools are tested multiple times throughout the day for exacting chlorine and chemical levels. It has been stated by health authorities that COVID-19 cannot survive in correctly managed swimming pools.”
Explaining the distribution on the letter, Ward told Australasian Leisure Management “this has been loaded onto our website and we are about to distribute this via social media.”
Ward also highlights ASCTA’s diligent work behind the scenes to formulate and implement its advocacy plan on behalf of members.
ASCTA has and is undertaking the following on behalf of swim coaches, swim teachers and the learn-to-swim sector:
• Engaged with a range of members to seek clarity on what we should be advocating for;
• Developed an advocacy matrix consisting of the issues/problems, solutions, outcomes and assistance/support required from Government;
• Sent a letter to NSW Premier and Health Minister outlining the key issues and requesting action in three areas
• Written a sample letter to be customised for each State and Territory Premiers and Ministers advocating for pools and swim schools to re-open (a copy of the sample letter can be accessed here for your information);
• Developing a template letter for members to send to government representatives who may be influential or provide assistance;
• Meeting with Mr Andrew Wallace, Federal Member for Fisher for Wednesday morning this week;
• ASCTA Board member, Joanne Love, has written to the Victoria Premier regarding learn-toswim and requesting action, and is meeting with the Victorian Premier this week.Love and Ward have been interviewed by ABC on this and have referred the ABC onto other swim school owners;
• ASCTA Board member, Bill Kirby, has written to the Western Australian Sport and Recreation Minister regarding competitive swimming being re-opened in the state with a positive response;
• Discussions with Swimming Australia, State Swimming Associations and other industry bodies (i.e. ARV, Royal Life Saving Society, AUSTSWIM and ASSA) to ensure we have consistent messaging and requests from Government
• Continuing to keep members and the wider industry engaged through information, resources and a range of free and discounted professional development opportunities (webinars, courses etc.)
Click here to view the Advocacy letter.
24th April 2020 - Prime Minister Scott Morrison announces framework for return of sport
24th April 2020 - Coach calls for elite swimmers to be given access to pools
21st April 2020 - SwimDesk launches new swim schools podcast
20th April 2020 - Swimming Australia celebrates first year of iSwim
30th March 2020 - Ross Gage transitions to new advisory role with ASSA
24th March 2020 - ASCTA/Swim Australia release Coronavirus guidance for swim schools
19th March 2020 - Drownings fall across Australian summer of extremes
10th March 2020 - ASCTA 2020 prepares sector in ‘Going for Gold’
8th March 2020 - Aquatic facilities react to Coronavirus fears
5th December 2019 - AUSTSWIM receives funding boost to combat multicultural drownings
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Ausfit began in 1992, providing software services to the health and fitness sector including ClubWise, a fully hosted web-based product which combines state of the art club management software,…read more
Headquartered in Brisbane with an Australia-wide network of satellite offices, PaySmart is one of Australia’s largest and longest-standing direct debit billing companies. In 1996 we began…read more
Clubware’s online gym software is not your run of the mill management system. It has been carefully designed to incorporate all the elements that a fitness club would need. How did we do that?…read more
APT (Advanced Polymer Technology) is the leading global manufacturer of polyurethane-based materials, acrylic coatings and synthetic turf products for sporting and recreational applications. From…read more
SLE Worldwide Australia is a Managing General Underwriter specialising in insuring risks in the world of Sports, Leisure and Entertainment. Be it relaxing, playing, organising or watching sports,…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!