Gladstone Health & Leisure (Gladstone MRM Pty Ltd Australia) is a leading supplier of leisure management and fitness software and is endorsed by leading health and fitness professionals and…read more
Planned Perth Surf Park aims for Swan River foreshore site
A proposal to develop Western Australia's first artificial wave surf park has been revealed with the Wave Park Group advising that it has presented a formal proposal to the City of Melville to redevelop a 4.4 hectare site at Tompkins Park, Alfred Cove into a world-class surfing destination.
The $25 million URBNSURF Perth project is proposed for a site on the southern shore of the Swan River, situated in a 22 hectare sport and recreation precinct that currently caters for multiple sporting activities.
Planned to be part of a chain of similar attractions across Australia, with URBNSURF projects also announced for Sydney’s Olympic Park and Melbourne Airport, the suef lagoon would use Wavegarden technology to produce surf as high as 1.7 metres and waves 110 metres long that can last up to 17 seconds.
Commenting on the proposal, Wave Park Group founder and Executive Chairman Andrew Ross stated “w are very much looking forward to creating an amazing piece of world-class sporting infrastructure that will allow residents of Perth and visitors to our beautiful city to simply #surfmore.
Perth-based Ross added "Perth is blessed with a number of idyllic beaches but the surf quality at some of those beaches is often poor, with over-crowding in the line-up also becoming an increasing issue.
"Surfing is enjoyed by millions of Australians for excitement, lifestyle and recognised health benefits and is second only to AFL in terms of participation, so it seems fitting that Tompkins Park, a hugely popular sporting hub, could now include a surfs sports facility."
The facility will offer multiple lagoon-side amenities and provide something for everyone, including:
• A quality licensed café, sunset roof -top bar, and beach club facing the Swan River and the Perth CBD skyline.
• A casual and relaxed family venue that’s perfect have a coffee and watch the action, to grab a post-surf snack on the run, or to share a beer and a meal with friends after a session
• A fully equipped pro-shop will allow try-before-you-buy surfing hardware
• A wetsuit and board rental centre
• An Academy deliver training programs for all levels of surfing, from beginner to elite, as well as a range of surf-fit styled personal and group fitness programs
• High quality landscaping and architectural design that acknowledges the environmental and cultural values of the adjacent Swan River
• Beach cabanas, children’s playground, rock-climbing and parkour course
• An upgraded public park integrating the Atwell Arts Centre & Gallery. Proposed facilities include a pump track, outdoor fitness and adventure play equipment.
• Rehabilitation of adjacent wetland vegetation and water sensitive urban design upgrades to adjacent stormwater drainage
• Improved access and new car parking to service existing riverfront amenities and dual use pathways
• Multipurpose event and function space
• RFID guest management and video tracking technology that will further enhance the visitor and surfing experience
Should a lease for the site be awarded by the City of Melville, it is anticipated that a development application would be lodged in the early months of 2017, and that development activity would commence in late 2017, with the first riders taking to the waves at URBNSURF Perth in late 2018.
For more information go to www.urbnsurf.co/perth-project.html
Image: The $25 million wave lagoon proposed for the Swan River foreshore.
28th April 2016 - SECOND URBNSURF ATTRACTION TO BE DEVELOPED AT SYDNEY OLYMPIC PARK
7th April 2016 - MELBOURNE AIRPORT LOCATION FOR FIRST SURF PARK IN AUSTRALIA
23rd October 2015 - PLANS FOR SURF PARK ON SITE OF DOMAIN STADIUM
22nd January 2014 - WAVEGARDEN TECHNOLOGY TO REVOLUTIONISE ARTIFICIAL SURFING
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
As of 2018, TicketServ operates as SeatGeek Asia Pacific Pty Limited, part of international ticketing platform SeatGeek. Click here to contact SeatGeek Asia Pacific via their entry in…read more
Fitness On Demand™ is a market-leading developer of virtual group fitness products. Our innovative video delivery systems offer robust content and a simple-to-use, comprehensive web app. Fitness…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
As of the 1st July 2018, Enta Australasia Pty Ltd/Best Union has been rebranded as VIVATICKET Pty Ltd. 19th July 2018 - ENTA AUSTRALASIA REBRANDS AS VIVATICKET 17th October 2016…read more
Hydrocare Pool Services Pty Ltd offer 25 years of experience in aquatic industry features, products and water treatment. Hydrocare Pools has undertaken water treatment for aquatic centres and…read more
At easyemployer we've come up with a software solution that manages one of your most important, and often most costly, business resources - your staff. We are helping 100s of clients to…read more
Leisure Concepts brings the world’s best fitness equipment brands to Australasia including Eleiko, Atlantis Strength and Merrithew Pilates. With a huge variety of treadmills,…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!