Vticket Pty Ltd is the Australian and New Zealand distributor for Gateway Ticketing Systems Inc., the world leader in high-speed access control, admission control and ticketing software for the…read more
Sport NZ releases guidelines for aquatic flooring surfaces
Intending to identify the various swimming pool surfacing options available and to determine the steps developers need to follow to minimise the risk of surface failure, Sport NZ has released a new report, 'Guidelines for Aquatic Flooring Surfaces'.
With a number of aquatic facilities in New Zealand having experienced surface fail, an occurrence Sport NZ identifies as "an area of significant unanticipated maintenance within New Zealand pools", the report aims to provide guidelines to the aquatic industry in order that sound and well informed decisions are made by local councils, designers and pool operators in the specification, installation, cleaning and maintenance of aquatic surfaces.
Commissioned by Sport NZ in association with the New Zealand Recreation Association (NZRA) and Architecture HDT Ltd, the report primarily considers aquatic flooring surfaces, but also touches on pool tank surfaces.
It has been issued for the purpose of raising awareness around the product selection, installation and use of surface finishes within aquatic facilities.
The report explains that "the cost of building and/or refurbishing community aquatic facilities is significant.
"These facilities are used by a wide cross section of the community for an increasingly wide range of aquatic activities. The selection, design, installation, cleaning and maintenance of flooring surfaces in and around pools is critical to the safety of pool patrons and staff.
"Aquatic facility users have varying degrees of physical ability, ranging from elite athletes to those who by virtue of age, temporary or permanent disability have restricted mobility."
Key points from the report include:
• The variety of aquatic experience and the range in physical ability of pool patrons and staff requires products be selected for specific circumstancesthere is no risk free 'perfect' aquatic surface suitable for all applications. All products contain some degree of risk, whether this be in the specification, installation, maintenance or use of the product.
• Successful outcomes are the product of a shared risk approach between clients, designers, contractors and facility operators. All parties have a part to play, and it is important that clear project processes and awareness of project roles and responsibilities are understood.
• The best performance indicator is in-use history of the product in the same environment. Critically, it was noted that products proven to be unsuccessful in some facilities were continuing to be specified and used elsewhere. It is recommended that a central database of aquatic facilities be set up which includes specifics about surface type, cleaning methods and maintenance costs used in New Zealand facilities. This should include key contacts relevant to these facilities so that this knowledge can be readily shared amongst the aquatic industry.
• It is not easy to use current New Zealand standards to establish compliance of aquatic surfaces with the New Zealand Building Code. This report recommends that further research be undertaken and that New Zealand standards be updated so as to provide specific guidance to designers and Territorial Authorities regarding aquatic surfaces. This information would be best found within the NZS 4441 Swimming Pool Design Standard, with other industry standards for slip resistance referencing it.
• The use of experienced consultants and contractors is critical to successful outcomes.
The report is issued for the purpose of raising awareness around the product selection, installation and use of surface finishes within aquatic facilities.
Click here to view the report.
2nd February 2013 - INTERIM SWIM COACHING ARRANGEMENTS AT DUNEDIN’S MOANA POOL
19th October 2012 - NEW CHRISTCHURCH TRAINING BASE IMPORTANT FOR ELITE ATHLETES
13th January 2012 - WATER SAFETY CAMPAIGN TARGETS HIGH MAORI DROWNING RATES
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
revolutioniseSPORT is the emerging market leader in online club management in Australia. Whether it is memberships, registrations, events, online sales or governance tools - revolutioniseSPORT is the…read more
At EventPro Software, we are proudly different from our industry competitors. We have a development-driven culture and 20 years’ experience in event, venue, and catering management software,…read more
Myzone is the industry’s leading wearable technology solution. Myzone’s wearable products show and reward effort when you work out. It displays accurate real-time heart rate, calories, and…read more
Hidroplay welcomes you to the exciting world of children's Playscapes, waterslide's and Water Attractions. Appealing to families, Hidroplay increases patronage in your facility during those…read more
The Fitness Generation is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
Anti Wave International is the original suppliers of top performance swim, aquatic sports, leisure and pool programming equipment. Founded in 1971, Anti Wave International is proud of its…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!