Fitness On Demand™ is a market-leading developer of virtual group fitness products. Our innovative video delivery systems offer robust content and a simple-to-use, comprehensive web app. Fitness…read more
Aims to link Watch Around Water program with other anti-drowning initiatives
The Royal Life Saving Society WA (RLSSWA) is aiming to work with other anti-drowning initiatives targeting parents with young children, such as Keep Watch and Swim & Survive, to incorporate its Watch Around Water messages targeting parents with young children.
A survey of the 102 registered Watch Around Water swimming pools managed by the Royal Life Saving Society WA in 2012/13 also recommended:
• Continuing to promote Watch Around Water in Western Australia to achieve 100% registration;
• Continuing to work with other states and territories to develop, promote and implement the Watch Around Water program at public swimming pool facilities;
• Developing strategies to engage with relevant local government representatives to educate them about the Watch Around Water program and its importance in relation to safety and risk management;
• Develop online registration process for centres.
Managed by RLSSWA on behalf of the Leisure Institute of Western Australia (LIWA) Aquatics, Watch Around Water is an education and awareness program addressing levels of parental supervision of children while visiting aquatic facilities.
The program has also been widely adopted in other states but confusion surrounds, Watch Around Water and the rival Keep Watch at Public Pools program run by Royal Life Saving Society Australia.
The recent evaluation of the Watch Around Water program was undertaken with members of the Western Australian aquatics industry and key stakeholders to assess its effectiveness and guide future program development.
In total, 93 pools were interviewed and provided feedback on the program. Of these, 57 were based in metropolitan Perth, 29 were located in regional WA and the remaining seven were in NSW.
The survey also published a range of recommendations on staff training and resources. These included:
• Developing a Watch Around Water 'How To Guide' that provides an overview of the program and tips on how it can be implemented at their pool for new managers
• Developing a standard booklet and information pack that can be included as part of staff induction training for new staff
• Makingstaff training resources and information available online through the Watch Around Water website for registered centres to download
• Sending out quarterly 'staff update newsletters' to all registered centres providing information on program updates, interesting stats and facts, case studies and implementation tips that can be included in regular in-house staff training
• Translating current resources (information brochure, poster and lifeguard card) into additional languages – Arabic, Chinese, Sudanese, Vietnamese, Indian, French, Mandarin, Swaheli and Dari
• Further developing the Watch Around Water Facebook page including the development of a marketing and communications strategy to engage with industry
• Including information regarding program resources (including costs, order forms etc.) on the Watch Around Water website and develop an online ordering system for registered centres
• Developing a Watch Around Water educational DVD
• Developing new Watch Around Water resources for registered centres including: new colouring in pictures; PA announcements – in script and electronic format; templates for use in brochures, local media, newsletters and websites; pPromotional items (shopping list notepads, Walter stickers for children, non-slip floor mats, back to school packs, stamps) and Walter the Watch Dog children's storybook/activity book.
For more information go to www.watcharoundwater.org.au
8th January 2013 - AQUATIC FACILITIES BENEFIT FROM NINE SEASONS OF WATCH AROUND WATER
16th February 2012 - WATCH AROUND WATER PROGRAM REACHES 100 POOLS IN VICTORIA
2nd December 2009 - MILLION DOLLAR SPONSORSHIP FOR ROYAL LIFE SAVING WA
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
AQUASPIN™ - Aqua Cycling Aquaspin™’s sessions have been specially designed by our Master Trainer to be challenging yet fun group cycling sessions. Each session is tailored to…read more
Les Mills Asia Pacific Les Mills Asia Pacific (LMAP) have been setting the benchmark for providing professional fitness solutions across Australia and South East Asia since 1996. Our world renowned…read more
Anti Wave International is the original suppliers of top performance swim, aquatic sports, leisure and pool programming equipment. Founded in 1971, Anti Wave International is proud of its…read more
Sports Padding At Rae-Line we manufacture high quality sports padding, gym mats, foam mats and protective padding, suitable for a range of different facilities. Our sports padding is…read more
HTS Group Ltd provides a complete design, system integration, installation and maintenance package to the transportation, traffic engineering, parking and sports timing industries in New Zealand,…read more
Crystal Pools has a solid history of performance on a wide variety of government and commercial projects and is the name behind many of Australia’s most innovative and ambitious aquatic…read more
Aerobic Microphones Australia provides audio products for the fitness industry. Products include the sweat resistant Cyclemic and Aeromic headworn microphones and pouchbelts that are made in…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!