Quayclean are a national cleaning and waste services partner with proven results in the understanding and delivery of cleaning needs and challenges faced by facilities including; major venues and…read more
Community aquatic, recreation and sport industry alliance seeks 12-month stimulus package from Federal and state governments
The alliance of industry peak bodies, facility operators and program and activity providers in the aquatic, recreation and sport industry are seeking Federal and State Government assistance in the form of a 12-month industry stimulus package to assist local governments, non-for-profits and small and medium businesses in rebooting “the community activities that are so critical to the physical, mental and community health of our nation”.
Included in the alliance’s Industry Re-opening Framework document released yesterday, the grouping has advised that the closure of swimming pools, recreation facilities and gyms as a result of the Coronavirus crisis “has had financial impacts including substantial losses in revenue, including loss of memberships and customers; along with ongoing expenditure on overheads including heating, chemicals, life extending asset management obligations and rent”.
As a result, it has called for measures that it believes will ensure the success of the industry that include:
• A reopening of the aquatic and recreation industry to enable a stimulus to the Australian economy and improvement in community health and wellbeing.
• A stimulus fund to support local governments and other industry operators and participants to meet community needs and underwrite the cost gap between a staged re-opening of venues and the full return to usual income and membership levels including support for maintenance, upgrades and subsidies for utilities. Initiatives to ensure that children and other vulnerable community members are encouraged to return to aquatic and recreation facilities including grants for swimming and water safety lessons for schools and community groups, as well as to provide subsidised physical activity and health based programs for those without work
• Initiatives to drive demand for facilities and participation including a national communications campaign and funding incentives such as vouchers
• Initiatives to support training and recruitment of employees as activities ramp up
The alliance advises “we recognise that Governments at all levels can play an essential role in re-opening and revitalising community aquatic and recreation facilities.
“We are actively engaging (across) states and territories to advise of critical measures to ensure the successful reboot of the industry. This is an essential industry which will continue to play a vital role in community health, safety and happiness for generations to come.”
The alliance of industry peak bodies, facility operators and program and activity providers have been in close contact throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, sharing expertise and support, impacts on communities, businesses and employees across the industry.
The Framework was developed by the following:
Industry National Peak bodies
Royal Life Saving Society – Australia
Australian Leisure Facilities Association
State Peak Bodies
Aquatics and Recreation Victoria
Aquatics and Recreation Institute (NSW)
Leisure Institute of Western Australia (LIWA)
Facility and Program Providers
State Sports Centres - NSW
The Y/YMCA (Australia and NSW)
Support was provided by Smart Connection Consultancy.
The Australian community aquatic, recreation and sport sectors represented by the Alliance includes:
• More than 1077 aquatic and recreation facilities, usually own by councils and often managed by a range of non-profit organisations, small and medium businesses
• More than 1,200 swim schools, including many small family businesses
• More than 67,000 frontline employees in roles including swimming and water safety instructors, pool lifeguards and fitness professionals
• More than 1.5 million children participating in swimming and water safety lessons
• More than 106 million individual visits to swim in a pool, participate in community sport, train in a gym or just relax.
Click here to read the Industry Re-opening Framework.
Image: Lifeguard image courtesy of the City of Moreland.
12th May 2020 - Village Roadshow Chief Executive calls for JobKeeper extension as Queensland Government’s Coronavirus easing roadmap suggests reopening of theme parks, entertainment venues and stadiums in June
6th May 2020 - YMCA warns against long-term impacts of COVID-19 on youth
1st May 2020 - YMCA reopens pools in Darwin
31st March 2020 - Australian Government launches $130 billion ‘JobKeeper’ wage subsidy
26th November 2019 - YMCA becomes ‘the Y’ with first logo change in 52 years
3rd May 2018 - Clublinks gets Deakin University students more active
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Founded in 1961, Myrtha Pools® quickly became Italy’s première swimming pool company, and has since grown into one of the world's leading swimming pool construction…read more
SKC Operations Pty Ltd (SKCorp) is an expert retail and marketing services team specialising in sports, leisure, aquatics, fitness, health, wellness & recreation industry. Using proven…read more
Swimplex Aquatics are a world-class company dedicated to the commercial pool, waterslide industry. We are Australian market leaders servicing all states Australia wide. Swimplex provide a full…read more
AQUASPIN™ - Aqua Cycling Aquaspin™’s sessions have been specially designed by our Master Trainer to be challenging yet fun group cycling sessions. Each session is tailored to…read more
Mattioli provides award winning painting, flooring and waterproofing services to the aquatics and recreation sector. We’re recognised as the leading contractor in the industry with award-winning…read more
Leisure Concepts brings the world’s leading fitness equipment brands to Australasia - these include True Fitness, Atlantis Strength, Merrithew (Stott Pilates), Intenza Fitness,…read more
At EventPro Software, we are proudly different from our industry competitors. We have a development-driven culture and 20 years’ experience in event, venue, and catering management software,…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!