Aflex Inflatables are the leaders for obstacle courses, pool toys, waterparks and land-based watersides and fitness runs. They are industry leaders offering the widest range of pool, lake and beach…read more
Domestic beach holidays get thumbs up from Australians
New research by Tourism Australia has confirmed Australian beach holidays rate among the best in the world, with six out of 10 Australians rating the country's iconic beach destinations as better than those in Bali, Fiji and Thailand.
The Domestic Consumer Demand Survey featured six of Australia's most iconic beach holiday destinations, popular among domestic travellers:
• Gold Coast (Queensland)
• Tropical North Queensland
• Whitsundays (Queensland)
• Broome / Exmouth / Ningaloo Reef (Western Australia)
• Fleurieu Peninsula / Kangaroo Island (South Australia)
• Freycinet Peninsula / Wineglass Bay (Tasmania)
The Australian destinations were tested against competing beach holiday destinations in Bali, Fiji and Thailand to identify and assess their relative appeal and the factors most influencing destination choice.
1,200 high yield Australian travellers were surveyed, each provided with a page of written stimulus highlighting the key appeals and experiences of each beach destination, including supporting images.
• 60% of respondents rated Australian beach destinations better than those overseas, with Broome/Exmouth/Ningaloo, Tropical North Queensland (TNQ), Gold Coast and The Whitsundays all ranked higher than any of the overseas locations;
• TNQ and Broome/Exmouth/Ningaloo ranked as the top two beach destinations;
• When presented with domestic and overseas options, 35% of respondents said they would be more likely to take a beach holiday in Australia, compared to 24% more likely to go overseas;
• While young travellers without children expressed a preference for overseas beach holidays, families ranked The Whitsundays highest. Broome/Exmouth/Ningaloo ranked highest amongst older travellers without children;
• TNQ, Broome and The Whitsundays were considered most unique and appealing beach destinations;
• Value for money was cited as the most important consideration when choosing a beach holiday, followed by natural beauty, climate, safety and quality of accommodation;
• Perceptions around the cost of taking a beach holiday in Australia versus overseas differed only slightly, with 38% of respondents saying Australia was more expensive, compared to 32% saying overseas;
• 29% of respondents said they would share their beach holiday experiences on social media.
Tourism Australia Managing Director Andrew McEvoy said the findings put pay to the myth that Australians had somehow fallen out of love with the domestic holiday, stating "this research demonstrates the enduring appeal amongst Australian families for the Australian seaside break, and confirms that we have some of the most desirable beach destinations in the world. The findings are proof positive that our country offers some of the most beautiful, safe and high quality beach holiday experiences in the world."
McEvoy added that better understanding of the triggers for choosing a beach holiday and how Australia compared to its key international competition would help Tourism Australia develop better marketing strategies to persuade more Australians to holiday at home.
The research was conducted by leading marketing research consultancy BDA Marketing Planning and is the follow-up to a broader project aimed at understanding consumer attitudes towards Australian holidays in 11 of Tourism Australia's key international markets.
The release of the findings comes just weeks after the most recent National Visitor Survey figures showed domestic trips growing 4.1%, nights up 4.5% and spend up 7% during the 12 month period ended September 2012.
Lower image: Melbourne's Brighton Beach.
12th November 2011 - VISITOR STATISTICS SHOW WHALE SHARK TOURISM ON THE RISE
19th July 2011 - AUSSIE DOMESTIC TRAVEL ‘DYING OUT’: CHARTERS
23rd September 2010 - PLAN TO BAN 100 ACTIVITIES ON COTTESLOE BEACH
23rd March 2010 - UPTURN IN DOMESTIC TOURISM
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Pico Play is a global leader in the planning, design, development and construction of world-class themed attractions and entertainment that deliver extraordinary and memorable experiences to millions…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
Polin was founded in Istanbul in 1976, and has since grown into a leading company in the waterparks industry. Today Polin is one of the world leaders in the design, production, and installation of…read more
SPORTENG specialises in the Planning, Design and Construction inspection of Fields of Play for all sports. Blending engineering with the specialist knowledge gained from working closely with sport…read more
Clubware’s online gym software is not your run of the mill management system. It has been carefully designed to incorporate all the elements that a fitness club would need. How did we do that?…read more
BioGuard is Australia and New Zealand’s most trusted supplier of premium, innovative and affordable commercial water treatment systems and chemicals. BioGuard offers a comprehensive range of…read more
Vticket Pty Ltd is the Australian and New Zealand distributor for Gateway Ticketing Systems Inc., the world leader in high-speed access control, admission control and ticketing software for the…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!