Email for trade enquiries: Enquiriesapac@myzone.org Customer support desk - Click Myzone support or go to ‘help’ on myzone app to access live support. Myzone® is the leading…read more
Village Roadshow advances Asian theme park plans with joint-venture with CITIC
Village Roadshow Ltd, operator of Australia's biggest cinema chain and several of the country's major theme and water parks, has announced that it will form a $500 million joint venture with China's CITIC Ltd to invest in new theme parks in East Asia.
Advancing Village Roadshow’s long held plans to develop attractions in Asia, the partnership with Chinese Government-owned investment group CITIC Trust will establish an initial funds management business that will invest in new developments in the region, with a particular focus on China.
CITIC, formerly the China International Trust and Investment Corporation, is one of China's largest financial conglomerates.
The investment group for this and future funds will 51% owned by CITIC with the remaining 49% held by a Village Roadshow subsidiary.
According to a statement from Village Roadshow, the funds management business will complement and leverage the advantages of the group's theme park opportunities in the region.
The statement explained "the signing of this important agreement represents a major new business horizon for Village Roadshow.”
Village Roadshow along with CITIC will commit to invest up to 5% in the initial US$500m fund, with CITIC responsible for raising the rest of the investment balance.
Village Roadshow Theme Parks will control at least 60% of the management company responsible for design, construction and operating contracts for the theme parks initiated by the fund.
The company statement added that a potential development had been flagged for the central Chinese tourist city of Chengdu, while confirming previously announced interest in other opportunities in southern China as well as Johor Bahru in Malaysia, and South Korea.
Village Roadshow co-Chief Executive Robert Kirby explained that the contract was "a major milestone in the progression of Village Roadshow’s strategic theme park expansion into China and South East Asia.
"With this major building block in place we are in a position to progress our expansion plans with even greater certainty, control and confidence.”
Village Roadshow has previously agreed to develop and operate a new theme and water park on the Chinese resort island of Hainan.
Image shows the Green Lantern rollercoaster at Warner Bros. Movie World on the Gold Coast.
4th April 2014 - VILLAGE ROADSHOW ADVANCES PLANS FOR ASIAN THEME AND WATER PARKS
23rd August 2013 - VILLAGE ROADSHOW REPORTS 50% RISE IN FULL YEAR PROFITS
19th October 2012 - VILLAGE ANNOUNCES CHINESE THEME PARK DEAL
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
AUSTRALIAN MADE. FIT FOR PURPOSE. AlphaFit is a 100% Australian owned family company manufacturing gear specifically for the strength and conditioning, functional fitness and high-performance…read more
Geoff Ninnes Fong & Partners (GNFP) is a structural, aquatic and civil engineering consultancy with broad experience in the design of new municipal and institutional swimming pools, hydrotherapy…read more
ProSlide is the global leader in water ride design and manufacturing, supplying high-performance water attractions to new and expanding water parks around the world. For over three decades, ProSlide…read more
Otium Planning Group is a contemporary sport and leisure consultancy providing services in planning, facility development, management and funding for the sport, recreation and leisure industries…read more
Known as Hydrilla since September 2020 - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/hydrilla-pty-ltdread more
Augmented Creative is an open organization of like-minded and highly dedicated, creative people who conceive, plan and execute visual solutions. We pursue new and innovative visual ideas to help…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!