TicketSearch is focused on providing businesses, organisations, and venues with affordable, efficient, and powerful self-managed ticketing solutions. The organisation has offices in Australia, New…read more
VicHealth supports diverse communities through innovation in sport
Health and recreation promotion agency VicHealth is to award sporting bodies a total of over $500,000 through its Innovation Challenge: Sport program.
Aiming to get less active Victorian communities involved in sport, five new 18-month pilot projects will be backed that will take traditional sport in a new direction to get less active Victorian communities involved in sport.
Pilot projects include:
• AFL Victoria - Female Indigenous Program: An initiative for young indigenous women aged 16 to 20 years old about providing more opportunities to play AFL through carnivals, competitions and camps across metropolitan and regional Victoria. The program will also offer training and education for these women to develop their communication and decision making skills, resilience and a strong sense of cultural identity.
• Bushwalking Victoria Club - Escaping Your Comfort Zone: Body positive hiking for plus size women. This program aims to improve the self-esteem of plus-size women through a specialised hiking program, combined with a supportive friendship group.
• Cricket Victoria in partnership with Proud2Play - Proud Cricket: An education program for Victorian Cricket Clubs to foster a more supportive culture for LGBTQI young people and increase their participation in cricket.
• Collingwood Basketball Association - Stay, Play, Lead and Succeed: A mentoring program for young people, predominantly of South Sudanese backgrounds, to keep them engaged in club basketball through a leadership development approach.
• Sport Central in partnership with Golf Victoria - Ballarat District FlexiGolf Pass: A new initiative among Ballarat District Golf Clubs to engage local families and golfers in a more convenient and affordable manner, with shorter game formats and casual memberships.
Announcing the backing, VicHealth Chief Exectuive Jerril Rechter stated “with less than a third of Victorians getting enough physical activity every day, we know sports need to come up with new, creative ideas to get people moving.
“Traditional sport isn’t for everyone, so our Innovation Challenge: Sport looks to kick-start promising ideas that can get Victorians - many whom are sometimes overlooked by mainstream sport offerings - involved in physical activity that appeals to their specific needs.
“It’s about getting people physically active and socially connected with their community - two of the best reasons I can think of to get involved in sport.”
In addition to the five pilot projects, VicHealth is providing second year funding to three previous Challenge winners to further develop their long-term visions and supporting two new funded partners with market research investment to help with future planning.
The next VicHealth Innovation Challenge: Sport funding round opens on 27th February 2017.
For more information about the opportunity for your sport, go to www.vichealth.vic.gov.au/funding/innovation-challenge-sport
Image: Proud2Play at Youlden Parkville Cricket Club.
13th January 2017 - LOW SPORT PARTICIPATION IN MELBOURNE’S GROWTH SUBURBS
31st October 2016 - EXERCISE RIGHT SHOWCASES STRONG WOMEN IN LATEST CELEBRITY EXERCISE CAMPAIGN
24th September 2016 - GENDER BALANCE IN SPORT VITAL TO IMPROVING PUBLIC HEALTH
20th September 2016 - GUIDE AIMS TO MAKE SPORT MORE WELCOMING FOR VICTORIAN WOMEN
4th September 2016 - NEW VICHEALTH FUNDING TO BACK FUN AND FEMALE ACTIVITY
3rd May 2016 - SPORTS COMMISSION URGES TEENAGERS TO ‘STICK WITH’ SPORT
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Our team believes floors should be beautiful, comfortable, and engineered for safety, even when wet. Life Floor tiles meet six unique performance based standards: slip-resistance, impact absorption,…read more
Pricemark supplies a wide range of custom branded membership & RFID access products for the Health & Leisure Industry.read more
Clubware’s online gym software is not your run of the mill management system. It has been carefully designed to incorporate all the elements that a fitness club would need. How did we do that?…read more
Geoff Ninnes Fong & Partners (GNFP) is a structural, aquatic and civil engineering consultancy with broad experience in the design of new municipal and institutional swimming pools, hydrotherapy…read more
Quayclean are a national cleaning and waste services partner with proven results in the understanding and delivery of cleaning needs and challenges faced by facilities including; major venues and…read more
ProSlide is the global leader in water ride design and manufacturing, supplying high-performance water attractions to new and expanding water parks around the world. For over three decades, ProSlide…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!