SGL is an innovative and progressive lifestyle, leisure and community consulting practice, operated by Phillip Gray and active since 1988. SGL has undertaken an extensive range of sport,…read more
Sport, Recreation and Play Industry Innovation Award Finalists Announced
The category finalists for the inaugural Australian Sport, Recreation and Play Industry Awards have been announced in advance of the presentation ceremony at the upcoming National Sports Convention.
To be presented as part of the Conference at Sydney’s Rosehill Racecourse at 5.30pm on Thursday 23rd June, the Innovation Awards aim to recognise and celebrate innovation that has promoted and encouraged more people to play, recreate and participate in sport.
All finalists will have the opportunity to display information in the form of a Poster Display at the National Sports Convention Expo.
Each Category Winner will receive a trophy and $1,000 cash award. The winners of each Category will then be judged for the Overall Innovations Award and has the opportunity to be 2016 winner and receive a $5,000 Award from FieldTurfTarkett.
The finalists in each category are:
1. Programs, Activities and Events: (Collaborated with: Community Sport Australia)
Programs, activities and events that have been developed to encourage the community to be more active in large numbers:
• Greater Shepparton City Council - Sporting Chance - Community Grant Scheme
• YMCA (Victoria) - Active Moreland - Weeklong Expo and Get Active Program
• Sunshine Coast Council - Heart Week 2016 - Weeklong Health Promotion Expo
2. Sports Turf (Collaborated with: Sports Contractors Association):
Innovative solutions that encourage greater intensity and durability of natural or synthetic sports fields in a manner that allows for greater usage:
• SportEng - Deakin University - Multisport Precinct Development
• Hornsby Shire Council - Pennant Hills Park, Oval No.3 - Synthetic Field Development
3. Technological Solutions and Products (Collaborated with Australian Sports Technology Network and Sponsored by: JASSTECH Solutions)
The Business to Business or the Business to Consumer markets that encourage more people to play sport or be active:
• GOALRILLA Australia - GOALRILLA Basketball - Arena style basketball system for home and sport
• Thinkrelativity - revolutionise360 - cloud based online platform for peak bodies of sport
• Tennis Victoria - Opening Up Tennis - linking on line bookings to access and lights
4. Playgrounds (Collaborated with Play Contractors Association)
Designs and developments that encourage more children to play, have fun and be active:
• Parkequip Pty Ltd - Deception Bay Aquatic & Fitness Cent - Aquatic play pad
• City of Greater Geelong - Queens Park Playground - A playground in the trees
• Rhinoplay - CUBE - Innovative play system (pictured below)
5. Marketing and Communication (Collaborated with Australasian Leisure Management)
Packaging and communication of an opportunity in a manner that has encouraged more people to be active:
• Warrnambool City Council - CONNECT Warrnambool - Changing the way clubs and community connect
• CloudeNotes - CloudeNotes - communication tools organizations managing Children in clubs and at venues
• APTA / Melos GmbH - Ready to Build for Sport and playgrounds
6. Facility Design and Development (Collaborated with Aquatics and Recreation Institute )
Innovative design and management that creates and environment where more people are active, (built and natural environments):
• City of Boroondara - Ashburton Pool - Pool Pod Development and Installation
• k20 Architecture - Ballarat Regional Sports Park Design and Development
• Ipswich City Council - Redbank Plains Sports Field and Water harvesting Project
The finalists are being assessed by some of Australia’s key peak bodies and industry providers, including Community Sport Australia, Sport Contractors Association, Australian Sports Technology Network, Play Contractors Association and Australasian Leisure Management.
All finalists have been invited to the awards.
National Sports Convention Innovation Expo
As part of the National Sports Convention Expo the final three short listed applicants will all be provided with an opportunity to display their innovation as part of the industry Expo so that the rest of the industry can appreciate their innovations.
Awards founder, Martin Sheppard of the Smart Connection Consultancy explains “as an industry sector, we all acknowledge that we need to encourage more people to be active and provide them with opportunities to play, recreate, keep fit, and participate at all levels.
“Over the past few years we have seen the growth of new programs, events and more accessible facilities but little growth in formal participation numbers in physical activity in Australia.
“These awards recognise the fine efforts being made to reverse that trend.”
For more information on the National Sports Convention, being held on 23rd and 24th June, click here for event details in the Australasian Leisure Management industry Calendar.
16th February 2016 - NEW AWARDS TO RECOGNISE INNOVATION IN SPORT, RECREATION AND PLAY
2nd March 2015 - REVOLUTIONISESPORT TO RELEASE A NEW COMPANION TO TECHNOLOGY PLATFORM
11th November 2014 - SUPPLIER DIRECTORY PROFILE: RHINOPLAY, FUN AND SAFE PLAY
10th June 2014 - AQUAZONE WARRNAMBOOL INCREASES ACCESSIBILITY FOR ITS GYM USERS
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Tim Batt Water Solutions are at the very forefront of the commercial aquatic business in Australia, with over 30 years specific experience supplying and installing chemical control and dosing…read more
We are Aussie Strength. The ultimate supplier for Commercial Gym Equipment that's built to deliver in the toughest environments. From USA-Built hardcore weight training equipment from Arsenal…read more
ATS are global leaders in altitude training and research. From mask systems and inflatable tents to simulated altitude facilities, we help all athletes gain the competitive edge. Our…read more
PathMinder Pty Ltd have partnered with AllUser Industries srl to bring Europe’s most advanced high security portals to the Australian and New Zealand markets. AllUser Industries started to…read more
Summit Fitness Equipment is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
The Jump Pad is a safe, flat inflatable made in a variety of sizes which can be used indoor or outdoor. From 3mx3m up to a whopping 9mx21m. Markets include Indoor and outdoor playgrounds, schools,…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!