Humanforce is a global provider of workforce management solutions for companies who need flexibility to manage complex workforces. Companies use Humanforce to manage everything from time and…read more
Research shows lap swimming can prolong youth
Research conducted by Indiana University Bloomington's Counsilman Centre for the Science of Swimming shows regular laps of the pool may be the answer to prolonging youth.
In the study, the researchers measured age markers, physiological function indicators that typically decline by 0.5% to 1% a year from the age of 35. They compared the markers of swimmers with similar data collected from the general population.
It was found that fairly intensive swimming about four kilometres, three to five times a week substantially delayed the decline of age markers such as blood pressure, muscle mass, blood chemistry and pulmonary function for long periods.
Highlighting how swimming can also benefit the skeletal system, Brenton Ford, a coach at the Powerpoint Masters Swimming Club in Melbourne explains "swimming is one of the least dangerous sports in terms of the risk of suffering a sports injury, mainly due to the slow speed, lack of physical contact and supportive environment.
"In water, you're only bearing 10% of your body weight. The remaining 90% is borne by the pool, so it's gentle on the joints and body."
The University of Sydney's Dr Nathan Johnson, who is also a spokesman for Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) adds "swimming provides a good aerobic workout for the whole body and can improve the strength endurance of the muscles in the shoulders and back.
"Unlike gym machines, which can isolate one body part at a time - think of doing a bicep curl on the machine - swimming puts the body through a broad range of motion that helps joints and ligaments stay loose and flexible
"With every stroke you're lengthening the body, giving you a good top-to-toe stretch."
Brenton Ford says one of the biggest mistakes people make when they go to the pool is swimming just one or two kilometres at the same pace, stating "to get a better workout, break it up into a short warm-up.
"Try swimming every third lap fast, and the others at a medium pace for recovery. The best way to get fitter and tone up is to do some high-intensity swimming."
For more information go to www.indiana.edu/~ccss/research/index.php
5th March 2014 - NOT SWIMMING POOLS BUT AQUATIC WELLNESS CENTRES?
1st March 2010 - HYDROTHERAPY EXPERTISE FOR THE WORLD
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Sports Padding At Rae-Line we manufacture high quality sports padding, gym mats, foam mats and protective padding, suitable for a range of different facilities. Our sports padding is…read more
Regupol Australia Pty Ltd offers a comprehensive range of recycled rubber fitness and leisure flooring surfaces. Their range of products include everroll rubber flooring, Regupol elastic…read more
Hadley Australia and Series Australia Pty Ltd are the leading quality theatre chair manufacturers in the southern hemisphere. The businesses work closely with architects, interior designers and…read more
SICO is at the forefront in innovative mobile folding and rolling, space efficient tables, stages, dance floors and many other products which help our customers optimise their use of space. Image…read more
Life Fitness Cardio Life Fitness Strength Hammer Strength Group Cycling Rowers Certified Refurbished Freeweights Benches & Racks Flooring Life Fitness is the global leader in the fitness…read more
Aerobic Microphones Australia provides audio products for the fitness industry. Products include the sweat resistant Cyclemic and Aeromic headworn microphones and pouchbelts that are made in…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!