HQH Fitness is an international company that specialises in improving the health, fitness and wellness of people everywhere. We are the South Pacific distributors for Total Gym/GRAVITY Education and…read more
QTIC advocates for competitive investment in tourism marketing and events
With the second week of the Queensland election underway, the Queensland Tourism Industry Council (QTIC) has been keeping a watchful eye on the announcements made by both major parties regarding marketing and event attraction across Queensland.
Having released its State Election Priorities document last week - following months of discussion with industry and government - QTIC Chief Executive Daniel Gschwind said the industry has collaborated with successive Queensland governments to build momentum and set the strategic direction for tourism growth.
Gschwind explained "tourism is on a long-term path and we must build on the foundations set through many consultative processes. We encourage a genuine multi-partisan approach to delivering the benefits of tourism to all regions of the state”.
Gschwind also emphasised that competitive investment in events attraction is critical to the growth of regional Queensland economies.
Outback business owner Krista Hauritz said many events in regional Queensland are born from the need to diversify economies, often due to drought.
Hauritz added “events give visitors a reason to book now and many have the potential to develop a new, special interest market for regional Queensland.”
QTIC welcomes Labor’s commitment to funding Tourism and Events Queensland up to 2021, but hopes to see incremental increases as the cost of business rises year on year.
Gschwind said Labor's announcement of an additional $30 million to secure major events to Queensland over three years is a great start.
The LNP and other parties are yet to detail their commitment to tourism marketing and event attraction.
We hope to hear further tourism marketing and event attraction announcements from other parties soon.
Key Queensland election tourism announcements to date:
• $48 million to set up the Attracting Tourism Fund to bring more direct flights and cruise ships to Queensland
• $36 million for a new Regional Tourism Infrastructure and Experience Development Program to help small businesses, local councils and community organisations with grants of up to $500,000 to develop new and improved tourism experiences
• $25 million to support the rejuvenation of Great Barrier Reef island resorts
• $25 million to restore Great Keppel Island.
• Invest an additional $30 million to secure new major events for Queensland over three years;
• Boost the Queensland Destination Events Program from $2 million to $3 million each year from 2018/19; and
• Increase the Business Events Fund from $1.5 million to $3 million by 2020/21.
Liberal National Party:
• $10 million to explore extensions to the Brisbane Metro project
• No lockout law guarantee
• $37 million to flood proof and upgrade the Proserpine-Shute Harbour Road at Hamilton Plains
• $2.5 million towards the study into the viability of the very fast train network
• Bid for the State of Origin game at the new Townsville stadium
• $60 million for the dredging of the Trinity Inlet to support the Cairns Cruise Ship Industry
• $176 million as part of this capital upgrades to the Cairns Convention Centre
• LNP’s $500 million Royalties for Regions program to make regional roads safer, provide more community infrastructure, better services and stronger resilience against natural disasters like cyclones and floods.
• Within the first 100 days of a LNP Government, a Registration of Interest process for up to two regional casino licences will be made available to proponents interested in building an Integrated Resort Development in regional Queensland.
• $300,000 to support the Citizens of the Great Barrier Reef
• $3 million capital infrastructure program over three years to roll-out 500 new Wi-Fi hot spots to key tourism destinations across the state.
Click here to view QTIC's State Election Priorities document.
Images: Wedding on Great Keppel Island (top) and Suncorp Stadium, ready to host the 2017 Rugby League World Cup Final (below).
31st October 2017 - QTIC CALLS FOR BACKING FOR STRONG TOURISM FUTURE
27th September 2017 - EARTHCHECK PRIZED FOR INNOVATION ON WORLD TOURISM DAY
14th June 2017 - SECTORS BACKED BY QUEENSLAND BUDGET
29th March 2017 - QUEENSLAND TOURISM INDUSTRY RALLIES FOLLOWING CYCLONE DEBBIE
20th July 2016 - RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD CUP 2017 FINAL SET FOR BRISBANE
4th July 2016 - SUNCORP STADIUM SET TO HOST 2019 NRL GRAND FINAL
7th December 2012 - NEW CHIEF EXECUTIVE TO DRIVE QUEENSLAND’S TOURISM AND EVENTS INDUSTRY
2nd November 2012 - QUEENSLAND GOVERNMENT TO MERGE EVENTS AND TOURISM AGENCIES
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Solar Pool Heating & Swimming Pool Covers since 1974. Sunbather offer an Australian made product which undergoes continual development to enable you to trust in the Sunbather brand. We deliver a…read more
The Fitness Generation is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
NovoFit is an exciting and dynamic new company born from two of Australia’s leading commercial fitness equipment suppliers. NovoFit combines over 45 years of industry expertise, delivering state…read more
Activating skyscapes for tourism, art, leisure and living TouchCloud Global (TCg) is a highly specialised international consultancy, broker and principal, devoted solely to activating and energising…read more
Clubware’s online gym software is not your run of the mill management system. It has been carefully designed to incorporate all the elements that a fitness club would need. How did we do that?…read more
Polin was founded in Istanbul in 1976, and has since grown into a leading company in the waterparks industry. Today Polin is one of the world leaders in the design, production, and installation of…read more
Hidroplay welcomes you to the exciting world of children's Playscapes, waterslide's and Water Attractions. Appealing to families, Hidroplay increases patronage in your facility during those…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!