Ocean Park launches pre-qualification exercise for potential partners for future development
Progressing its plans to co-develop its site, Hong Kong theme park Ocean Park has issued a pre-qualification invitation to solicit potential partners through a Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) model.
This formally starts the two-phase procurement process for the implementation of the future strategy of Ocean Park under the rethink exercise, beginning with the current Pre-Qualification Stage and to be followed by a Tender Stage in late 2021 or early 2022.
The pre-qualification exercise will help pre-qualify respondents for the tender process, maintaining a manageable number of bidders while ensuring that they share the Park’s vision on future development, conservation and education (C&E), as well as having the requisites to deliver the development proposals of the future strategy.
This pre-qualification will allow potential respondents eight weeks to respond with proposals and feedback.
Ocean Park Corporation Chairman, Lau Ming-wai stated “the journey of realising our vision for a new Ocean Park has made a big leap with this pre-qualification invitation.
“We can only achieve the Park’s new vision with the right line-up of partners who share the long-term goal not only for the Park, but also for Hong Kong in general. Together, we hope to turn Ocean Park into the pearl of the Government’s Invigorating Island South initiative, enhancing visitor experiences from every aspect, while achieving business sustainability.”
The rethink exercise for Ocean Park and the new zones for development
Together with the Government, Ocean Park completed the rethink exercise in January 2021 to chart the way forward and reimagine new opportunities, taking advantage of the Park’s proven track record in C&E and unique geographical location. The plan breaks through existing frameworks and the Park will implement a new operating model and fee-charging mode, and introduce brand-new visitor experiences.
To further support the Park’s efforts in C&E, bidders seeking for pre-qualification are encouraged to integrate the following principles into the zones’ concept design, operations or other offerings:
• Be environmentally responsible and enhance animal welfare in line with Ocean Park’s objectives.
• Accomplish sustainable operational excellence through various initiatives, such as water conservation, waste management and recycling, sustainable procurement processes and more.
• Share the same C&E values as Ocean Park, focusing on making a positive impact on consumer behavioural change through educational and experiential learning activities, concept themes and content.
• Be socially responsible and inclusive, catering to those with special needs.
The new plan offers development opportunities at three new zones within Ocean Park with site areas totalling approximately 376,000 metre². These include: the whole new, free-entry Retail, Dining and Entertainment (RDE) Zone in the lower park (approximately 89,000 metre²), the Adventure Zone (approx. 125,000 metre²) and Wellness Zone (approx. 162,000 metre²) in the upper park. Respondents can submit their interest in either a single zone, two zones or all three zones. For the Adventure and Wellness zones, they are also welcomed to express interest in developing and operating selected parts of each zone.
• The Retail, Dining and Entertainment Zone: The lower park area will be transformed into a low-rise retail area with differentiated and experiential retail, dining and entertainment offerings, such as open spaces for activities, alfresco dining, indoor entertainment and events, and children’s play areas. It will be open to the public for free, complemented by Ocean Park’s existing C&E attractions that will be available on a pay-as-you-go basis.
• The Adventure Zone: Located in the upper area of Ocean Park, this zone is to be built on the existing Adventure Land area which has a natural downhill slope that is suitable for many adventure-related attractions. Leveraging on the topography and landscape, this zone will include thrilling outdoor attractions and activities that provide adventure experiences inspired by nature.
• The Wellness Zone: Two sites are available for the Wellness Zone. The first being the southern tip of the upper park which is currently occupied by thrill rides, and the second is the adjacent undeveloped area of Ocean Park, on the west side of the new Water World. The Wellness Zone will provide authentic and immersive experiences that promote different dimensions of wellness and an avenue to escape from daily urban life.
Click here for more information on Ocean Park’s pre-qualification exercise.
Images: Ocean Park's Hell Raiser ride (top) and a 2020 concept for low land area (below). Credit: Ocean Park.
30th July 2021 - Hong Kong’s Ocean Park announces revamp and new chief executive
19th January 2021 - Government backs US$46 million makeover for Hong Kong’s Ocean Park
20th May 2020 - Hong Kong legislators struggle with Ocean Park bailout
12th April 2020 - Ocean Park’s pandas mate during Coronavirus lockdown
16th January 2020 - Hong Kong’s Ocean Park reveals future vision as adventure-themed attraction
16th December 2019 - Ride investment sees Ocean Park rack up another year of deficit
4th September 2019 - Hong Kong’s Ocean Park launches marine research facility
10th July 2019 - Hong Kong’s Ocean Park looks to treble solar power capacity by 2020
7th June 2019 - Entrance prices at Hong Kong’s Ocean Park rise by 4%
18th February 2019 - Revenue rises but deficit remains at Ocean Park Hong Kong
1st March 2018 - Hong Kong’s Ocean Park to get HK$310 million Government bail out
18th September 2017 - Ocean Park Hong Kong closes Halloween-themed haunted house after guest death
29th July 2017 - Ocean Park seeks new Ticketing and Admission System
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Ausfit began in 1992, providing software services to the health and fitness sector including ClubWise, a fully hosted web-based product which combines state of the art club management software,…read more
iDwala is the Community Sports Surface Specialist offering the highest quality designs and technical expertise to Councils, Schools and Sporting Clubs looking to create sporting…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
Humanforce is a global provider of workforce management solutions for companies who need flexibility to manage complex workforces. Companies use Humanforce to manage everything from time and…read more
Clubware’s online gym software is not your run of the mill management system. It has been carefully designed to incorporate all the elements that a fitness club would need. How did we do that?…read more
Vticket Pty Ltd is the Australian and New Zealand distributor for Gateway Ticketing Systems Inc., the world leader in high-speed access control, admission control and ticketing software for the…read more
Gladstone Health & Leisure (Gladstone MRM Pty Ltd Australia) is a leading supplier of leisure management and fitness software and is endorsed by leading health and fitness professionals and…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!