AAC ID Solutions is a leading supplier of identification access wristbands, barcoded wristband tickets, lanyards, membership products and RFID solutions for events and venues, working with thousands…read more
Ministers take steps to strengthen the integrity of Australian sport
Taking the next steps to strengthen the integrity environment around Australian sport while meeting in Launceston this week, Australia's sport and recreation ministers praised the overwhelming majority of Australians involved in sport, from athletes and coaches to officials and volunteers, who behave with integrity.
Building on the outcomes of their February meeting, the ministers confirmed their willingness to work collaboratively to strengthen and safeguard the integrity of Australian sport.
Ministers endorsed the expanded role of the National Integrity of Sport Unit including more proactive integrity threat identification, assessment and advisory services for sport, and the establishment of the Australian Sports Integrity Network (ASIN)the primary vehicle through which Australian sporting organisations will discuss and coordinate responses to sport integrity issues.
Ministers recognised the work underway to strengthen the registration processes for sports scientists; and progress on the consideration of the criminalisation supplying banned substances. The meeting was also given an update on Australia's participation in international developments to combat match-fixing.
In addition, the Ministers recommended further work on initiatives to help reduce the cost of participating in sport approving further work towards a nationally consistent approach to the regulation of combat sports.
Ministers specifically noted and endorsed progress on the following:
• All Coalition of Major Professional and Participation Sports (COMPPS) member sports agreeing to establish or strengthen their sports integrity units. The National Integrity of Sport Unit (NISU) working with all sports to identify whether an integrity unit is needed and further, to assist non-COMPPS sports in establishing such units where needed through the development of the Sports Integrity Threat Assessment Methodology (SITAM).
• The NISU establishing the Australian Sports Integrity Network (ASIN) to become the primary vehicle through which Australian sporting organisations will discuss and coordinate responses to sport integrity issues.
• The NISU developing probity checking principles to assist sports, and is working with relevant Commonwealth agencies, including the Australian Federal Police and Customs, to produce practical guidelines to assist sports to establish and maintain due diligence and probity checking processes.
• The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) Amendment Bill 2013, passed by the Australian Parliament on 27th June 2013. It contained a number of amendments to strengthen ASADA's investigative powers.
• The NISU is currently examining the complexities around the sharing specific types of information on sporting integrity matters and will provide further advice and recommendations on information sharing protocols on completion of this work.
• The NISU is developing an online education tool that will be available to all sports in coming months. State and Territories have also agreed to examine the expansion of the Play by the Rules program to provide information about illicit and performance enhancing drugs.
• The Australian Institute of Sport has released the Sports Science/Sports Medicine Best Practice Principles.
• ASADA's biological passport program, which is one of the best methods for detecting doping, is now operational.
• State and Territory commitment to the implementation of the National Policy on Match-Fixing in Sport.
• Additional work to protect the integrity of sport at the sub-elite level.
Image: NRL fans at Brookvale Oval, Sydney
7th February 2013 - DRUGS AND CRIME REPORT ROCKS AUSTRALIAN SPORT
8th November 2012 - NEW UNIT TO PROTECT THE INTEGRITY OF AUSTRALIA SPORT
8th October 2011 - NRL TO INTRODUCE IN-HOUSE ANTI-CORRUPTION UNIT?
28th March 2011 - AUSTRALIAN GOVERNMENT WELCOMES CONSULTATION ON MATCH FIXING
9th October 2009 - AUSTRALIA A TARGET FOR MATCH-FIXING
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
The Jump Pad is a safe, flat inflatable made in a variety of sizes which can be used indoor or outdoor. From 3mx3m up to a whopping 9mx21m. Markets include Indoor and outdoor playgrounds, schools,…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
revolutioniseSPORT is the emerging market leader in online club management in Australia. Whether it is memberships, registrations, events, online sales or governance tools - revolutioniseSPORT is the…read more
Geoff Ninnes Fong & Partners (GNFP) is a structural, aquatic and civil engineering consultancy with broad experience in the design of new municipal and institutional swimming pools, hydrotherapy…read more
The Fitness Generation is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
Technogym is the leading company in the Wellness and Fitness field all over the world. With 2,200 employees, 14 branches in Europe, U.S., South America, Asia and Australia, Technogym exports its…read more
Swimplex Aquatics are a world-class company dedicated to the commercial pool, waterslide industry. We are Australian market leaders servicing all states Australia wide. Swimplex provide a full…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!