A leading designer and manufacturer of innovative waterslides and attractions, Australian Waterslides and Leisure (AWL) is also able to advise clients in the areas of concept and design, feasibility…read more
Fitness First reveals results of experiment into the impact of fitness
Fitness First has revealed the results of an unconventional social experiment that has investigated the role exercise plays in participants quality of life.
The experiment set out to examine ‘how fit feels’ over a 12-week period as three fitness fanatics removed exercise from their lives, while three inactive people added exercise to theirs.
Going beyond the traditional ‘before and after’ photograph to instead focus on how the participants emotionally evolved, the journey has taken both groups through massive physical and emotional changes, for better and worse:
Those who removed fitness
All participants forced to remove fitness struggled, sleeping poorly and for less time, feeling overall less energised, and found it hard to concentrate, with most gaining at least three BioAge years.
• Bondi resident Elle (aged 30), the personal trainer and fitness model gained eight kilos and aged eight BioScore years in just eight weeks before quitting the experiment four weeks prior to completion. Her mood and emotional state were highly impacted through lack of exercise.
Elle stated “the thing I miss most about fitness is the way it makes me feel, both mentally and physically. My moods have been so low, and my body so stiff and cumbersome.”
Before (BioScore 26) After (BioScore 34)
• Nardia (aged 39), the personal trainer and motivational speaker experienced physical discomfort without exercise, including lower back pain, and a sore neck and shoulders. Her relationship with her fiancé was also affected, with her feeling grumpy and moody, taking it out on him.
Before (BioScore 30) After (BioScore 32)
• Mick Cunico, Head of Fitness at Fitness First (aged 37) said he experienced muscle stiffness, seizing, and back pain without movement. Mick also found it difficult to concentrate saying,
Cunico stated “I am not good without exercise, I get edgy and frustrated, more at myself than other people really but I just get cloudy.”
Before (BioScore 27) After (BioScore 32)
Those who added fitness
All participants hit motivation blocks for not seeing clear, physical results immediately. That said, the non-physical benefits including improved mood and energy, as well as better sleeping patterns really spurred them on. All decreased their BioScore by at least seven years.
• Alisha, new mum (aged 23) has felt reenergised through fitness, “finding herself again” after becoming a parent, enabling her to be a more level headed, centred person, saying: “Being a mum, everything seems to get jumbled up and you become a mess of thoughts. Now I'm clear with the direction I want to go with my family and life.”
Before (BioScore 32) After (BioScore 22)
• Tracey (aged 53) said her posture has improved, so she’s no longer scared to pick up her grandson for fear of hurting her back. She feels energised saying, “Mentally things have shifted for me, I’m up at dawn heading off to the gym… this is coming from a girl who used to live on champagne and canapés.”
Before (BioScore 56) After (BioScore 49)
• Michael, wine seller (aged 22) feels happier and more motivated since exercising regularly. Not only having lost weight in the process, Michael says, “Adding exercise into your life can change how you think and feel not just physically but mentally and it doesn’t take much to start.”
Before (BioScore 37) After (BioScore 26)
11th October 2016 - FITNESS FIRST ENCOURAGES AUSTRALIANS TO MOVE TO IMPROVE THEIR MOOD
29th September 2016 - QUADRANT EXPANDS WELLNESS EMPIRE WITH ACQUISITION OF FITNESS FIRST AUSTRALIA
15th July 2016 - FITNESS FIRST CALLS ON AUSTRALIANS TO LOOK BEYOND THE PHYSICAL
19th December 2014 - FITNESS FIRST LOOKS TO INSPIRATIONS FOR GYM GOERS IN 2015
3rd November 2014 - AUSTRALIANS NEGLECTING PHYSICAL AND EMOTIONAL BENEFITS OF EXERCISE
22nd January 2014 - FITNESS FIRST AUSTRALIA REVEALS NEW APPROACH TO FITNESS
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Playrope Aqua-Fun, are the Australian & New Zealand exclusive distributors for Vortex Aquatic Structures International, the world leader in aquatic playgrounds and urban water landscapes.…read more
Turnstile Entry Systems and Access Control Centaman Entrance Controls’ Award Winning Range of Access Control Systems includes tripod & triarm turnstiles, speedgates, full height…read more
Ausfit began in 1992, providing software services to the health and fitness sector including ClubWise, a fully hosted web-based product which combines state of the art club management software,…read more
We are Aussie Strength. The ultimate supplier for Commercial Gym Equipment that's built to deliver in the toughest environments. From USA-Built hardcore weight training equipment from Arsenal…read more
iEDM integrate Design, Engineering and Delivery Management services to convert existing spaces into exciting new entertainment venues. Our team consists of highly qualified professionals with diverse…read more
Polin was founded in Istanbul in 1976, and has since grown into a leading company in the waterparks industry. Today Polin is one of the world leaders in the design, production, and installation of…read more
Gladstone Health & Leisure (Gladstone MRM Pty Ltd Australia) is a leading supplier of leisure management and fitness software and is endorsed by leading health and fitness professionals and…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!