Smart Connection Consultancy is a boutique sport and recreation consultancy who has become one of Australia’s leading advocates for the use of synthetic sports surfaces as a vehicle to grow…read more
Fitness Australia announce formation of Industry Standards Council
Aiming to advance and elevate Australia’s fitness industry, peak body Fitness Australia has announced the formation of the Australian Fitness Industry Standards Council.
The newly-formed council will seek to develop, manage, promote and review a suite of standards, codes, guidance materials and other documents to assist the fitness industry to manage safety and improve service quality.
Comprised of 10 members, the council boasts a unique and diverse range of experts who will contribute to the future positive direction of the fitness industry.
Three of the council members represent academia, with experience in the fitness industry and in a relevant discipline (sports or exercise science, business, law), while another three are experienced industry practitioners. There is an additional three external members, including a representative of consumers, a representative of education providers, and a person with experience in accreditation systems.
The members of the Australian Fitness Industry Standards Council are:
• Professor Patrick Keyzer, law academic (Chairman)
• Professor Kevin Norton, exercise science academic
• Professor Elisabeth Wilson-Evered, business academic
• Max Martin, industry practitioner
• Michael Cunico, industry practitioner
• Gavin Aquilina, industry practitioner
• Maxine Cooper, consumer representative
• Dr Melissa Arkinstall, education representative
• Associate Professor Michael Greco, accreditation expert
• Craig Knox, Executive Officer and Secretary
The objectives of the Council are to:
• Develop, manage, promote and review a suite of standards, codes, guidance materials and other documents to assist the fitness industry to manage safety and improve service quality;
• Develop, manage, promote and review a suite of standards, codes, guidance materials and other documents to assist the fitness industry to support Fitness Australia’s registration and accreditation programs;
• Develop a risk management model and a program of total quality management for the Australian fitness industry that is based on data and other inputs that will help drive safety improvements by guiding prioritisation of standards development and regulatory activity;
• Provide independent technical advice to Fitness Australia staff, the Board and the public; and
• Undertake initiatives to support Fitness Australia’s role as the peak body in the self-regulatory model of fitness service provision in Australia.
Commenting on the launch of the Council, Fitness Australia Chief Executive Bill Moore (pictured) is excited by the opportunities to affect positive change and direction in the industry with the guidance of the newly-formed council.
Moore explained “this is an exciting time for our industry, and when you can attract the quality of members that we now have on The Council, it’s cause for even more excitement.
“This is an initiative designed not just to provide standards, as the name might suggest, it’s really a chance for some of the brightest minds in the industry and in a number of different specialist fields to get together, discuss, plan and project on where the industry is headed.
“We’re part of an ever-evolving industry and the formation of this council is a step towards reflecting that even further.”
3rd November 2016 - FITNESS AUSTRALIA CALLS ON AUSTRALIANS TO LIFT THE BAR ON STRENGTH TRAINING
11th February 2016 - FITNESS INSTRUCTOR NUMBERS SET TO GROW BY UP TO 50% IN FIVE YEARS
25th April 2014 - FITNESS AUSTRALIA EXPLAINS ROLE IN DEVELOPING INDUSTRY SAFETY STANDARDS
5th October 2010 - ASSOCIATIONS JOINTLY ENDORSE NEW GUIDELINES FOR EXERCISE INTENSITY
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Tim Batt Water Solutions are at the very forefront of the commercial aquatic business in Australia, with over 30 years specific experience supplying and installing chemical control and dosing…read more
Sports Padding At Rae-Line we manufacture high quality sports padding, gym mats, foam mats and protective padding, suitable for a range of different facilities. Our sports padding is…read more
NovoFit is an exciting and dynamic new company born from two of Australia’s leading commercial fitness equipment suppliers. NovoFit combines over 45 years of industry expertise, delivering state…read more
Rhinoplay offers playground equipment in Australia that is safe, durable, and most importantly fun! We specialise in creating unique indoor playgrounds for play centres and outdoor playgrounds for…read more
With its sleek good looks and easy-to-use yet powerful functionality, Envibe is the premium fitness club software for the Australasian leisure, recreation and fitness industry. We are the most…read more
Activating skyscapes for tourism, art, leisure and living TouchCloud Global (TCg) is a highly specialised international consultancy, broker and principal, devoted solely to activating and energising…read more
Turnstile Entry Systems and Access Control Centaman Entrance Controls’ Award Winning Range of Access Control Systems includes tripod & triarm turnstiles, speedgates, full height…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!