iEDM integrate Design, Engineering and Delivery Management services to convert existing spaces into exciting new entertainment venues. Our team consists of highly qualified professionals with diverse…read more
Exercise & Sports Science Australia urges Australians to reconnect on R U OK? Day
Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) is urging all Australians to actively reconnect with someone they have lost touch with in support of suicide prevention for today’s R U OK? Day.
The national suicide prevention campaign R U OK? Day (on Thursday 8th September) reminds all Australians to make more time for the people in their lives who matter most and in the process help create a more connected world for all of us.
ESSA Chief Executive Anita Hobson-Powell suggests that reconnecting over physical activity could be a great excuse to catch-up with those you may have lost touch with and ask that all important question – R U OK?
She explains “whether it’s kicking a football around or just taking a walk outside, physical activity is a great excuse to connect with friends, and could make more of a difference than you know.”
Accredited Exercise Physiologist and Exercise Right spokesperson, Alex Lawrence adds “over the past few decades, a range of studies have demonstrated that regular physical activity is associated with better mental health and emotional wellbeing.
“For conditions like anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, exercise has been shown to reduce symptoms and improve the mood of patients.”
Lawrence said exercise did not necessarily need to be strenuous to provide a benefit, with something as simple as a brisk walk each day able to make a difference.
Lawrence advises that “a walk outdoors is an easy way to get together with loved ones and ask that all important question - R U OK? It’s also a healthy and social activity with vast benefits, both mentally and physically.
"We hope reconnecting in an active way will reinforce the positive role that family, friends and neighbours can play in one another’s wellbeing.”
“We also hope that encouraging people to connect actively on R U OK? Day will ensure more people are committed to being there for one another when times get tough.”
Exercise Right’s top six ways to reconnect for R U OK? Day
1. Take a yoga & meditation class together: We live in a society where there is so much external stimulus and noise that it can be really beneficial to take some time out. Meditation is a way to allow people to focus on the present.
2. Hit the local trails for a bushwalk: Bush walking and walking in general is a low cost, and highly accessible activity that most people can engage with. It is also an activity that you are able to have a great deal of control over: you choose how hard/fast you walk, and you can easily engage in conversation while working up a slight sweat. Studies have shown that people can achieve improvements in their blood pressure walking as little as 20 minutes per day.
3. Bouncing at a trampoline park: Trampoline parks have gained popularity in recent years, and have started popping up in most major cities. Bouncing is a fun and non-traditional way to work up a sweat. In addition to improvements in cardiovascular fitness, the unpredictable nature of trampolining is great for improving co-ordination and agility.
4. Strike up a conversation at the bowling alley: One of the benefits of bowling is that the fundamental skills are easy to learn and the activity is really adaptable, meaning that almost anyone can get involved. Bowling is a great activity for building long lasting social relationships.
5. A friendly game of tennis: Depending on one’s ability and goals, people can play tennis just for fun or challenge themselves with the more competitive nature of the sport. Tennis is a high impact sport, which can help promote bone health, as well as improve cardiovascular fitness and coordination. Just be careful to not overdo it when you’re starting out, otherwise you’re at an increased risk of developing an injury.
6. Take a trip down memory lane with a game of laser tag: If you and your friends are not necessarily interested in the more traditional activities, why not revisit your younger years and go for a game of laser tag? Having fun is the overall aim of the game, but with added health benefits, such as cardiovascular fitness and improve mental wellbeing.
To find out more about exercise and mental health go to www.exerciseright.com.au
23rd May 2016 - ESSA URGES AUSTRALIANS TO UNDERTAKE THE RIGHT KIND OF EXERCISE
7th December 2015 - YMCA AND HEALTH TEAM AUSTRALIA PARTNER TO PROVIDE EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGY SERVICES
5th November 2015 - CELEBRITY BACKED EXERCISE CAMPAIGN UP AND RUNNING
29th November 2014 - PHYSIOLOGIST WARNS EXERCISE OR FACE RAPID DECLINING HEALTH IN OLD AGE
6th October 2012 - HEALTHY BODY INTEGRAL TO HEALTHY MIND
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Perfect Gym Solutions is a software as a service (SaaS) solution purpose-built to service the fitness industry, with over 1000 clients servicing over 2 million gym members across 40 countries making…read more
TicketSearch is focused on providing businesses, organisations, and venues with affordable, efficient, and powerful self-managed ticketing solutions. The organisation has offices in Australia, New…read more
Swimplex Aquatics are a world-class company dedicated to the commercial pool, waterslide industry. We are Australian market leaders servicing all states Australia wide. Swimplex provide a full…read more
Developed in Europe, this innovative system offers a safety management solution for swimming pools that checks individual swimmers via their wristband - monitoring their depth and time. Sensors…read more
Aflex Inflatables are the leaders for obstacle courses, pool toys, waterparks and land-based watersides and fitness runs. They are industry leaders offering the widest range of pool, lake and beach…read more
As of the 1st July 2018, Enta Australasia Pty Ltd/Best Union has been rebranded as VIVATICKET Pty Ltd. Click here to view the VIVATICKET Pty Ltd listing. 19th July 2018 - ENTA…read more
Felton Industries is Australia’s leading designer, manufacturer and supplier of quality outdoor furniture and has been supplying premium seating solutions for all sporting, commercial, community…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!