Perfect Gym is a modern, feature rich, cloud based facility management software. Now in its sixth year of operation, and having expanded into 16 Countries worldwide, we count some of the largest and…read more
ESSA expresses concern over reliance on online exercise advice
With the large amount of information surrounding physical activity available online, Exercise & Sports Science Australia (ESSA) is becoming increasingly concerned about the quality and accuracy of information available to everyday Australians.
An online survey of over 250 Australians conducted by ESSA found that 47% were getting their exercise information from the internet, and 30% from social platforms such as TV, Instagram, blogs and celebrity pages. Some responses noted that having a degree doesn’t make you an expert, while others don’t seek any advice at all.
Concerned about misleading and incorrect exercise information online, ESSA Chief Executive Anita Hobson-Powell states “although it’s encouraging to see Australians wanting to improve their physical health, it’s concerning that almost half of survey respondents are not seeking advice from an industry professional.
“There is a lot of false information available online, and it could be extremely dangerous for someone to start an exercise plan without first consulting a qualified exercise expert.”
Results did indicate that 82% of Australians trusted an appropriately qualified exercise professional with a university qualification to provide them with exercise advice. However, the remaining 18% still preferred to trust either family or friends, those who had only completed a short course, or considered all options to be of equal level.
Hobson-Powell added “whilst 82% is a great figure, we want all Australians to be educated on who the real exercise experts are. It is a significant concern if someone is receiving advice from a person who is not appropriately qualified to do so and that hasn’t completed a relevant exercise and sports science degree.”
ESSA’s newest campaign, Everyone’s an Expert - Ask a Real One, aims to bust these exercise myths and overcome the common barriers associated with physical education. Expert content will be made available for the Australian public from ESSA accredited exercise professionals such as Accredited Exercise Scientists (AES), Accredited Exercise Physiologist (AEP) and Accredited Sports Scientists (ASpS).
Hobson-Powell concluded “this campaign will provide Australians with professional advice on physical activity, as well as educate them on the benefits of seeing an AES, AEP or ASpS. Accredited exercise professionals specialise in the design, implementation and evaluation of exercise and physical activity for people and this is what makes them the real experts of exercise.”
Click here to find out more about the Everyone’s an Expert - Ask a Real One campaign.
31st July 2017 - MEDIA GROUP LAUNCHES FITFLUENCER NETWORK
1st May 2017 - NEW ONLINE JOB TOOL FOR CLUBS TO FIND PERSONAL TRAINERS
8th February 2017 - ESSA CONCERN OVER FALLING FITNESS LEVELS AMONG AUSTRALIAN CHILDREN
31st October 2016 - EXERCISE RIGHT SHOWCASES STRONG WOMEN IN LATEST CELEBRITY EXERCISE CAMPAIGN
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
JASSTECH Solutions are the exclusive distributors of AAA-LUX Sports field and Large Area Lighting for Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific Islands. The AAA-LUX WS series has the capacity to…read more
Established in 1994, Ceramic Solutions has excelled at the supply and installation of swimming pool tiles and equipment for the pool and leisure industry, with a focus on the needs of end-users. …read more
Whether your goal is increasing your centre's revenues or creating an engaging environment, why not add play to your project? If you're looking for stylish aquatic play features, kid-tested…read more
We are the leading providers of kids fun multi-sports programs for Sport and Recreation Centres. Programs cover twelve common sports as well as Gross Motor Skill Development and suit children from as…read more
A leading designer and manufacturer of innovative waterslides and attractions, Australian Waterslides and Leisure is also able to advise clients in the areas of concept and design, feasibility studies…read more
The Calgym/Synergy group has had a long and proud history since 1976 as world leaders in the innovation, design and evolution of commercial strength and conditioning equipment. The Synergy group was…read more
AQUASPIN™ - Aqua Cycling Aquaspin™’s sessions have been specially designed by our Master Trainer to be challenging yet fun group cycling sessions. Each session is tailored to…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!