iDwala is the Community Sports Surface Specialist offering the highest quality designs and technical expertise to Councils, Schools and Sporting Clubs looking to create sporting…read more
Board of Directors announced for Major Events Gold Coast
The City of Gold Coast’s plan to attract further internationally recognised events has today seen the announcement of the Board of Directors for its new events entity, Major Events Gold Coast.
Mayor Tom Tate joined City of Gold Coast Chief Executive, Dale Dickson in announcing the incoming board which is being tasked with taking a whole-of-City approach to major events and growing the city’s event calendar and economic contribution.
Mayor Tate said while the Gold Coast already had an impressive major events calendar, the goal now was to see nearly every weekend booked with a nationally or internationally broadcast event like the Gold Coast Marathon, Magic Millions and Gold Coast 600.
He advised “Major Events Gold Coast will also be responsible for attracting more state and national sporting events to capitalise on the City’s new portfolio of Commonwealth Games related world-class sporting venues.”
Chief Executive Dale Dickson said that given the calibre of our new board members he had no doubt the City was well placed to continue to build on the success of the 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Darryl Kelly has been appointed chair of the Major Events Gold Coast board, recognising his contribution to Broadbeach Alliance, which developed some of the City’s largest events including Blues on Broadbeach and the fast-growing Groundwater Country Music Festival.
The other members of Major Events Gold Coast (MEGC) Board include former GOLDOC Chief Executive, Mark Peters; incoming Chief Executive of Village Roadshow and Chief Executive of Warner Village Theme Parks, Clark Kirby; Group Executive Operations at Star Entertainment Group, Geoff Hogg ; Director of Cross Promotions International, Jackie Cross; Regional General Manager at Accor Hotels, Michael Coe; Chief Executive of Burleigh Brewing, Peta Fielding, legal professional, Jessica Norris and Chief Executive of John Flynn Private Hospital, Greg Jenke.
Dickson said Broadbeach Alliance, Surfers Paradise Alliance and Connecting Southern Gold Coast would continue to operate until mid-2020, at which time Major Events Gold Coast Pty Ltd would become fully operational.
He recognised that all three entities had made a significant contribution to the city’s current event portfolio and thanked the respective chairpersons.
He acknowledged Laura Younger, in particular, for her long-term service and leadership of Surfers Paradise Alliance.
Major Events Gold Coast Pty Ltd - Board Biographies
Darryl Kelly (Chair)
• Chair of Broadbeach Alliance Ltd
• 2009 NRL Volunteer of the Year
• Director Gold Coast Titans
• Former GOLDOC Chief Executive
• Former Executive Director – Australian Sports Commission
• Former Australian baseball player (Captain) and sports administrator
• Former President – Australian Baseball Federation
• Incoming Chief Executive of Village Roadshow Ltd
• Chief Executive, Warner Village Theme Parks Ltd
• Director of Gold Coast Tourism Corporation Ltd
• Group Executive Operations at Star Entertainment Group Ltd
• Senior Management roles at SKYCITY Entertainment Group
• Director of National Retail Association
• Director of Broadbeach Alliance Ltd
• Governor of the American Chamber of Commerce (Queensland)
• Regional General Manager at Accor Hotels
• Director of Surfers Paradise Alliance Ltd
• Former Director of Hotel Motel & Accommodation Association Inc.
• Former Director of Tourism Tropical North Queensland Ltd
• Director, Cross Promotions International
• Runs a high-profile Australian entertainment act at MGM Reports, Las Vegas
• More than 20 years’ experience in marketing, major events, entertainment and festivals
• Chief Executive & Director of Burleigh Brewing Co
• Director of Gold Coast Tourism Corporation Ltd
• Former GOLDOC board member
• Director of Bleached Arts Ltd
• Former Legal Practitioner at Minter Ellison
• Former Manager (Legal) for GOLDOC
• Former legal counsel for Invictus Games Sydney 2018
• Winner – In House Lawyer of the Year (2016 Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards)
• Chair Connecting Southern Gold Coast
• Chief Executive of John Flynn Private Hospital
Image shows the Gold Coast Marathon.
3rd June 2019 - Gold Coast secures major national bowls event
9th May 2019 - Vibrant launch for Gold Coast Sports Festival 2019
26th February 2019 - South East Queensland Mayors reveal details of 2032 Olympic Games vision
23rd November 2018 - Lifesaving World Championships return to the Gold Coast
18th November 2018 - New era for Queensland cricket as T20 debuts at Metricon Stadium
5th October 2018 - Gold Coast secures top international events award
1st October 2018 - Gold Coast Commonwealth Games fell short of planned revenue benchmark
24th September 2018 - Commonwealth Games legacy sees opening of National Squash Centre at Carrara
30th August 2018 - Gold Coast Commonwealth Games organising committee ends operations
20th August 2018 - NFL draft event to be held on the Gold Coast
1st June 2016 - Queensland looks for recognition as ‘endurance capital’
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Our team believes floors should be beautiful, comfortable, and engineered for safety, even when wet. Life Floor tiles meet six unique performance based standards: slip-resistance, impact absorption,…read more
PathMinder Pty Ltd have partnered with AllUser Industries srl to bring Europe’s most advanced high security portals to the Australian and New Zealand markets. AllUser Industries started to…read more
The Fitness Generation is now part of NovoFit - see www.ausleisure.com.au/suppliers/novofit/read more
Playrope Aqua-Fun, are the Australian & New Zealand exclusive distributors for Vortex Aquatic Structures International, the world leader in aquatic playgrounds and urban water landscapes.…read more
Gladstone Health & Leisure (Gladstone MRM Pty Ltd Australia) is a leading supplier of leisure management and fitness software and is endorsed by leading health and fitness professionals and…read more
Perfect Gym Solutions is a software as a service (SaaS) solution purpose-built to service the fitness industry, with over 1000 clients servicing over 2 million gym members across 40 countries making…read more
Digonex is a leading provider of customised dynamic pricing solutions to clients in arts and entertainment, sport, attractions, cultural institutions and retail sectors. Digonex’s technology is…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!