Ecoline is a highly experienced and skilled company that offers world-first technology in safety, protects the environment and provides a unique and challenging custom-made adventure and educational…read more
Beatty Park Leisure Centre optimises lobby security with solutions from Centaman Entrance Control
As part of the recently completed redevelopment at Beatty Park Leisure Centre in Perth, five lanes of Centurion EasyGate and SwingGate from Centaman Entrance Control have been installed.
Part of the requirement for the $17.5 million redevelopment of the Centre was for its membership system to provide an efficient access control solution to its members and those purchasing a casual visit while balancing the need to maintain open and friendly community spaces.
With managers at the City of Vincent evaluating a number of different turnstile solutions to balance not only the budget, but to also maximise efficiency and provide the best visitor experience - all while maintaining the high level of aesthetic design evident throughout the facility.
As a result, the Centurion EasyGate SG from Centaman Entrance Control was selected as the product that best matched the needs of the redeveloped Centre.
Centurion EasyGate SG uses glass barriers in conjunction with state-of-the-art optical technology to provide a high throughput security gate. The bi-directional glass barriers are designed to work in a 'normally closed' mode and open after a valid card has been presented to allow the authorised user to pass.
The barriers are designed to close quickly behind the authorised person to deter tailgaters while the IR sensors monitor the lane to detect unauthorised entry and ensure the safety of users.
The barriers open in a door like motion which enables the pedestal to be only 200 mm wide and the same slim pedestal can be used in wide DDA compliant lanes which ensures the turnstiles have a minimal visual impact to distract from the overall building design.
The Centaman membership system has been integrated with the turnstiles to provide a turnkey solution with the EasyGates linked to Centaman Touch controllers with a combination of RFID and bar code readers as well as a colour display to guide users through the system with graphic and text based feedback.
Members are provided with either a RFID card, while casual entrants receive a 'low cost' bar coded ticket. When a member or ticket holder scans their card at the turnstile it is automatically checked to see if it is valid at that time. If valid the EasyGate SG quickly opens to provide a clear lane for easy 'hands free' access.
Beatty Park Leisure Centre Manager Dale Morrisy explains "one of the key requirements in the turnstile solution was to provide a fast, easy to use system to allow members to quickly access the site without the need to report to reception.
"Additionally as members typically carry sports bags and other items we definitely wanted a hands free solution for the turnstiles."
Overall, the redevelopment has re established the Centre at the forefront of aquatic, fitness and recreation facilities in Perth.
First opened in 1962, the redevelopment, which did not impact on the heritage-listed façade of the complex, features a new two-level building constructed on the eastern side of the complex, overlooking Beatty Park Reserve featuring a new entrance, reception and foyer; new café, with seating area and retail shop; new toilets/change areas; new offices for the Swim School; and a brand new gym with all new, state-of-the-art equipment (top floor) including:
• The first 360 Multi-Station in the state (for cross-fit enthusiasts)
• The latest 19 inch touch screen monitors with internet connectivity on treadmills (Apple and Android compatible)
• Hammerstrength and Life Fitness plate loaded and pin loaded machines
• Two Jacobs ladder climbing machines
• Cybex Arc trainers
• Two huge new Group Fitness rooms (ground floor) with a capacity of 60+
A lift was also installed between the floors of the gym to assist with access.
Upgrades to the existing building included:
• Improvements to office spaces to enable them to be leased to recreation and associated professionals, eg: physiotherapists
• Upgrade of existing toilets and bathrooms, with a new suite of changerooms
• Disabled access ceiling hoist, adult change table and new accessible change-rooms.
• Addition of extra family and accessible sized changerooms and cubicles
• Upgrade to universal access and traffic flow within the existing car park
Upgrades to aquatic facilities included:
• Retiling of the indoor pool and new children’s water features added (July 2012)
• Upgrade of existing (50m x 8 lane) outdoor pool by installing a new 50m x 10 lane pool with a depth to suit a number of activities (completed November 2012).
• The addition of an accessible ramp for better access for patrons with a disability.
• Upgrade of existing 30 metre outdoor pool by reducing the depth to 2 metre and re-tiling (diving board removed) – this Activities Pool is for water polo and other activities (completed December 2012)
Adding a 12 x 12 metre learn-to-swim outdoor pool next to the activities pool (also completed December 2012)
A range of technologies introduced at the Beatty Park Leisure Centre will save the City of Vincent over 5,000 mega watt hours of energy each year - equivalent to the electricity used by 890 Vincent households over the same period.
• Geothermal heating system which draws hot water from deep underground to heat all of the facility’s swimming pools (with potential expansion to heat other nearby Vincent facilities in the future)
• One hundred and fifty 250 watt Suntech solar modules which contribute significantly to powering the Centre’s electrical equipment
• Presence Detectors will ensure lights in less frequently used areas are only on when needed
• Super-efficient Airblade hand dryers which save 80% on conventional hand dryer energy costs
Commenting on the facility, City of Vincent Mayor Alannah MacTiernan stated "the facility really is a game changer in every way from the high-tech sustainability features, such as the geothermal heating system, through to the five resurfaced pools and range of brand new top-of-the-line fitness equipment in the two-storey gym extension."
For more information on the Centurion EasyGate and SwingGate contact Centaman Entrance Control on 02 9906 7522, www.entrancecontrol.com.au
27th November 2012 - BEATTY PARK LEISURE CENTRE CELEBRATES 50TH ANNIVERSARY AND OUTDOOR POOL REOPENING
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
SKC Operations Pty Ltd (SKCorp) is an expert retail and marketing services team specialising in sports, leisure, aquatics, fitness, health, wellness & recreation industry. Using proven…read more
ATS are global leaders in altitude training and research. From mask systems and inflatable tents to simulated altitude facilities, we help all athletes gain the competitive edge. Our…read more
Augmented Creative is an open organization of like-minded and highly dedicated, creative people who conceive, plan and execute visual solutions. We pursue new and innovative visual ideas to help…read more
Headquartered in Brisbane with an Australia-wide network of satellite offices, PaySmart is one of Australia’s largest and longest-standing direct debit billing companies. In 1996 we began…read more
NovoFit is an exciting and dynamic new company born from two of Australia’s leading commercial fitness equipment suppliers. NovoFit combines over 45 years of industry expertise, delivering state…read more
Lander & Rogers' Sports Business Group is the leading sports law practice in Australia, representing over 150 national and international sporting bodies. Our clients include international…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!