AAC ID Solutions is a leading supplier of identification access wristbands, barcoded wristband tickets, lanyards, membership products and RFID solutions for events and venues, working with thousands…read more
Australian Libraries in Focus
To coincide with Library and Information Week (being held from 19th to 25th May), the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) has released data on library usage in Australia. Under the theme 'Libraries are for everyone', the ABS report that:
• 46% of Australians aged over 18 years visited a library in 2006.
• After going to the cinema, libraries were the second most attended cultural venue or event in 2006.
• Almost two-thirds (65%) of Australians aged 15 and over who had visited a library during the 12-month period 2005/06 had visited more than six times during that period, including 25% who had visited more than 20 times.
• Females were more likely than males to visit a library - their attendance rate was 41%, compared with 27% for males.
• 55% (1,467,500) of children visited a public library outside of school hours in 2005/06.
• 74% (1,984,000) of children read for pleasure in April 2006. While 80% of girls read for pleasure during the same period, only 69% of boys did so.
• 72,600 Australians reported unpaid involvement in libraries and archives in April 2007.
• Federal and State and Territory Government funding for libraries in 2005/06 was $394.0 million. This was a national average of $19.95 per person.
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
NovoFit is an exciting and dynamic new company born from two of Australia’s leading commercial fitness equipment suppliers. NovoFit combines over 45 years of industry expertise, delivering state…read more
HYPOXI® is one of Europe’s most successful health and weight loss studio concepts. It’s the first weight loss technology to incorporate exercise with advanced vacuum and…read more
Principal Consultant Simon Weatherill has spent the last 20 years developing the world renowned Melbourne Sports Hub, as former Chief Executive Officer of the State Sports Centres Trust…read more
Regupol Australia Pty Ltd offers a comprehensive range of recycled rubber fitness and leisure flooring surfaces. Their range of products include everroll rubber flooring, Regupol elastic…read more
Talk To Us For Independent Advice & Specialised Services We're business people, not sales reps IP HUB is one of Australia’s leading advisors on telecoms for both small businesses and…read more
Hidroplay welcomes you to the exciting world of children's Playscapes, waterslide's and Water Attractions. Appealing to families, Hidroplay increases patronage in your facility during those…read more
Trisley's Hydraulic Services P/L (THS) are a specialised pool company dealing with all aspects of the commercial swimming pool industry, including the installation and servicing from the smallest…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!