Anti Wave International is the original suppliers of top performance swim, aquatic sports, leisure and pool programming equipment. Founded in 1971, Anti Wave International is proud of its…read more
55th Halberg Awards set to recognise New Zealand’s top sporting talent
New Zealand’s Halberg Awards, highlighting the country's best sporting talent, will presented next week at Auckland’s Spark Arena.
Named after Olympic champion Sir Murray Halberg, the Halberg Awards is the country's pre-eminent event to honour and celebrate New Zealand sporting excellence.
The 55th edition of the Awards will honour teams, players and coaches in sports for their 2017 feats, including rugby, cycling, softball, freeski, canoeing and para sports.
Finalists for the 55th Halberg Awards are:
*High Performance Sport New Zealand Sportswoman of the Year: Lisa Carrington (canoe racing), Lydia Ko (golf), Portia Woodman (rugby union), Sarah Goss (rugby union).
*Sportsman of the Year: Beauden Barrett (rugby union), Brendon Hartley (motorsport), Ross Taylor (cricket), Tom Walsh (athletics).
*Halberg Disabled Sportsperson of the Year: Corey Peters (para alpine skiing), Holly Robinson (para athletics), Sophie Pascoe (rara swimming), William Stedman (para athletics).
*Team of the Year: Black Ferns (rugby union), Black Sox (softball), Emirates Team NZ (yachting), Women’s K2 – Lisa Carrington and CaitlinRyan (canoe racing).
Coach of the Year: Gary Hay (rowing), Glenn Moore (rugby union), Gordon Walker (canoe racing), Mark Sorenson (softball).
Emerging Talent: Ellesse Andrews (cycling), Josh Armit (yachting), Matthew MacDonald (rowing), Nico Porteous freeski).
The Halberg Foundation has also announced the 11 finalists for ‘New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment of 2017’ – the only category that is selected by the public for the annual Awards.
1. Martin Guptill smashes 11 sixes to give the Black Caps a seven wicket ODI win. (NZ v. South Africa, Hamilton)
2. Mitchell Hunt drops a stunning last-minute drop goal securing the win for the Crusaders during the Super Rugby season. (Crusaders v Highlanders, Christchurch)
3. Michael Venus wins the French Open men's doubles final to become the first New Zealand male Grand Slam champion since 1974. (French Open, Paris)
4. Black Ferns sevens win the World Rugby Women's Sevens Series. (Black Ferns Sevens v Australia, Clermont-Ferrand)
5. Emirates Team New Zealand win the America's Cup. (Emirates Team New Zealand v Oracle Team USA, Bermuda)
6. Brendon Hartley and Earl Bamber win the Le Mans 24 hour race. (Le Mans, France)
7. Black Sox win the World Softball Championships title for the seventh time. (Black Sox vs. Australia, Canada)
8. Tom Walsh wins the shot put gold medal to become the first New Zealand male to win an IAAF track and field championship. (IAFF World Track and Field Championships, London)
9. Black Ferns win the Women's Rugby World Cup for the fifth time. (Black Ferns v England, Belfast)
10. Lisa Carrington wins the K1 200m gold medal for the fifth time at the World Canoe Sprint Championships.(World Canoe Sprint Championships, Czech Republic)
11. Ross Taylor achieves a record equalling 17 test centuries with the Black Caps in the second test against the West Indies. (NZ v West Indies, Hamilton)
*Eligible for the supreme Halberg Award
Lower image shows Lisa Carrington at the 2017 Awards were she was named High Performance Sport New Zealand Sportswoman of the Year.
11th February 2017 - CANOEIST LISA CARRINGTON CLAIMS TOP HONOURS AT 54TH HALBERG AWARDS
19th February 2016 - HALBERG AWARDS HONOUR SPORTING AND SPORT LEADERSHIP ACHIEVEMENTS
8th January 2016 - 53RD HALBERG AWARDS FINALISTS ANNOUNCED
14th April 2015 - SPORT SECTOR EXPLORES NEW ZEALANDERS’ CHANGING NEEDS
12th February 2015 - HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORT NZ CONGRATULATES HALBERG SPORTSMAN AND SPORTSWOMAN WINNERS
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Goplay designs and manufactures specialised playground equipment for indoor play centres, hotels, food chains, clubs and resorts. If our years of experience and dedication have taught us one thing,…read more
Regupol Australia Pty Ltd offers a comprehensive range of recycled rubber fitness and leisure flooring surfaces. Their range of products include everroll rubber flooring, Regupol elastic…read more
Aflex Inflatables are the leaders for obstacle courses, pool toys, waterparks and land-based watersides and fitness runs. They are industry leaders offering the widest range of pool, lake and beach…read more
TJS Services is a leading national facility services provider. We deliver quality cleaning, maintenance, construction and facility management services to over 1,500 sites Australia wide. Our…read more
SICO is at the forefront in innovative mobile folding and rolling, space efficient tables, stages, dance floors and many other products which help our customers optimise their use of space. Image…read more
JonasLeisure offers a complete range of leading leisure and recreation software brands – envibe, Centaman, Gladstone Health & Leisure, The Retention People, Nutrition Complete and…read more
The Calgym/Synergy group has had a long and proud history since 1976 as world leaders in the innovation, design and evolution of commercial strength and conditioning equipment. The Synergy group was…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!