Trisley's Hydraulic Services P/L (THS) are a specialised pool company dealing with all aspects of the commercial swimming pool industry, including the installation and servicing from the smallest…read more
55th Halberg Awards set to recognise New Zealand’s top sporting talent
New Zealand’s Halberg Awards, highlighting the country's best sporting talent, will presented next week at Auckland’s Spark Arena.
Named after Olympic champion Sir Murray Halberg, the Halberg Awards is the country's pre-eminent event to honour and celebrate New Zealand sporting excellence.
The 55th edition of the Awards will honour teams, players and coaches in sports for their 2017 feats, including rugby, cycling, softball, freeski, canoeing and para sports.
Finalists for the 55th Halberg Awards are:
*High Performance Sport New Zealand Sportswoman of the Year: Lisa Carrington (canoe racing), Lydia Ko (golf), Portia Woodman (rugby union), Sarah Goss (rugby union).
*Sportsman of the Year: Beauden Barrett (rugby union), Brendon Hartley (motorsport), Ross Taylor (cricket), Tom Walsh (athletics).
*Halberg Disabled Sportsperson of the Year: Corey Peters (para alpine skiing), Holly Robinson (para athletics), Sophie Pascoe (rara swimming), William Stedman (para athletics).
*Team of the Year: Black Ferns (rugby union), Black Sox (softball), Emirates Team NZ (yachting), Women’s K2 – Lisa Carrington and CaitlinRyan (canoe racing).
Coach of the Year: Gary Hay (rowing), Glenn Moore (rugby union), Gordon Walker (canoe racing), Mark Sorenson (softball).
Emerging Talent: Ellesse Andrews (cycling), Josh Armit (yachting), Matthew MacDonald (rowing), Nico Porteous freeski).
The Halberg Foundation has also announced the 11 finalists for ‘New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment of 2017’ – the only category that is selected by the public for the annual Awards.
1. Martin Guptill smashes 11 sixes to give the Black Caps a seven wicket ODI win. (NZ v. South Africa, Hamilton)
2. Mitchell Hunt drops a stunning last-minute drop goal securing the win for the Crusaders during the Super Rugby season. (Crusaders v Highlanders, Christchurch)
3. Michael Venus wins the French Open men's doubles final to become the first New Zealand male Grand Slam champion since 1974. (French Open, Paris)
4. Black Ferns sevens win the World Rugby Women's Sevens Series. (Black Ferns Sevens v Australia, Clermont-Ferrand)
5. Emirates Team New Zealand win the America's Cup. (Emirates Team New Zealand v Oracle Team USA, Bermuda)
6. Brendon Hartley and Earl Bamber win the Le Mans 24 hour race. (Le Mans, France)
7. Black Sox win the World Softball Championships title for the seventh time. (Black Sox vs. Australia, Canada)
8. Tom Walsh wins the shot put gold medal to become the first New Zealand male to win an IAAF track and field championship. (IAFF World Track and Field Championships, London)
9. Black Ferns win the Women's Rugby World Cup for the fifth time. (Black Ferns v England, Belfast)
10. Lisa Carrington wins the K1 200m gold medal for the fifth time at the World Canoe Sprint Championships.(World Canoe Sprint Championships, Czech Republic)
11. Ross Taylor achieves a record equalling 17 test centuries with the Black Caps in the second test against the West Indies. (NZ v West Indies, Hamilton)
*Eligible for the supreme Halberg Award
Lower image shows Lisa Carrington at the 2017 Awards were she was named High Performance Sport New Zealand Sportswoman of the Year.
11th February 2017 - CANOEIST LISA CARRINGTON CLAIMS TOP HONOURS AT 54TH HALBERG AWARDS
19th February 2016 - HALBERG AWARDS HONOUR SPORTING AND SPORT LEADERSHIP ACHIEVEMENTS
8th January 2016 - 53RD HALBERG AWARDS FINALISTS ANNOUNCED
14th April 2015 - SPORT SECTOR EXPLORES NEW ZEALANDERS’ CHANGING NEEDS
12th February 2015 - HIGH PERFORMANCE SPORT NZ CONGRATULATES HALBERG SPORTSMAN AND SPORTSWOMAN WINNERS
Asking a small favour
We hope that you value the news that we publish so while you're here can we ask for your support?
The news we publish at www.ausleisure.com.au is independent, credible (we hope) and free for you to access, with no pay walls and no annoying pop-up ads.
However, as an independent publisher, can we ask for you to support us by subscribing to the printed Australasian Leisure Management magazine - if you don't already do so.
Published bi-monthly since 1997, the printed Australasian Leisure Management differs from this website in that it publishes longer, in-depth and analytical features covering aquatics, attractions, entertainment, events, fitness, parks, recreation, sport, tourism and venues management.
Subscriptions cost just $90 a year.
Click here to subscribe.
The Complete Guide to Leisure Industry Products & Services.
Recreation Management Software for managing all your program registrations, facility bookings, membership pass sales and Point of Sale; including detailed reporting, automated customer communication…read more
Fitness On Demand™ is a market-leading developer of virtual group fitness products. Our innovative video delivery systems offer robust content and a simple-to-use, comprehensive web app. Fitness…read more
Playrope Aqua-Fun, are the Australian & New Zealand exclusive distributors for Vortex Aquatic Structures International, the world leader in aquatic playgrounds and urban water landscapes.…read more
iDwala is the Community Sports Surface Specialist offering the highest quality designs and technical expertise to Councils, Schools and Sporting Clubs looking to create sporting…read more
PathMinder Pty Ltd have partnered with AllUser Industries srl to bring Europe’s most advanced high security portals to the Australian and New Zealand markets. AllUser Industries started to…read more
With its sleek good looks and easy-to-use yet powerful functionality, Envibe is the premium fitness club software for the Australasian leisure, recreation and fitness industry. We are the most…read more
Polin was founded in Istanbul in 1976, and has since grown into a leading company in the waterparks industry. Today Polin is one of the world leaders in the design, production, and installation of…read more
get listed with our suppliers directory
Get your business noticed in our targeted directory. Viewed by 10,000 industry professionals per week!